Author Topic: Very Strange Avast Activity  (Read 3508 times)

shayman

Very Strange Avast Activity
« on: March 23, 2006, 12:03:03 PM »
Hi Guys running Avast Server on SBS2003 Not SP1 Avast Version = Build Feb2006 4.6.566 VPS 22/3/2006 FV 0612-1

Today a lady in a law firm extracted a large number of word .doc file from a zip file to the server share. When these files were put onto the share located on the SBS Server AVAST went stuped.
The emails I was receiving were the following for example

[SERVER]: AAVM - scanning error: x_AavmCheckFileDirectEx: avfilesScanReal of D:\Baron Data\PRECEDENTS\LAW SOCIETY PRECEDENTS\sct\doc\nct23.doc failed, 0000A477.

and

[SERVER]: AAVM - scanning error: x_AavmCheckFileDirectEx: avfilesScanReal of D:\Baron Data\PRECEDENTS\LAW SOCIETY PRECEDENTS\lct\doc\nct36.doc failed, 0000A477.

These files come from the Law Socity of NSW, and I have installed onto a remote computer @ home and I have confirmed that the files are what seem to be currupted as per the 0000A477 error code after looking over the forum here. So that kind of explains these errors, however...

The problem is once Avast had issued these warning the SBS enviroment completly shut down, ie: user could not loginto the domain, or via Remote Desktop. The only way I could resolve the issue was to restart the server, it was like all of the UNC shares also shut down. Only happened after Avast scanned the files. One other email warning I was sent before receiving the 2 above were as below this was issued by AVAST

[SERVER]: ODBC function SQLConfigDataSource() failed. Error description: Driver's ConfigDSN, ConfigDriver, or ConfigTranslator failed.

For now I have removed the files from the SBS Server what the hell could be going on...