Author Topic: what happens if I buy a new laptop...do I have to purchase Avast again?  (Read 1940 times)

REDACTED

Hello. My suscription to Avast is aonut to expire. But if I can remember correctly, I bought it when I was using a different laptop tahn the one I am using now. If I renuew the suscription it will protect my current laptop or the one I was using a year ago? It may sound ridicolous but I really don´t know. Thank you for your help in advance.

Wendy

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
If you connect yo you my.avast.com account, you can delete the old laptop device, that will allow you to assign the license to your current laptop installation. It would have to be linked (connected to) your my.avast.com account.

When the license is assigned to the new laptop, when you renew your license it should extend the protection on the new laptop.

You would have to uninstall the avast on the old system or install avast free.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

I had purchased Avast last month for my desktop, but within a week, my system had crashed, fully and totally unrecoverable. I bought a new desktop, but now I'm weary about moving my license to this PC. I have no proof of what had happened to the machine, I only know that my logon password was not working, even though I could logon with a different device to the same account. Even a system recovery would not work. Would like to have some protection against anything for this PC: MacAfee spreads like wildfire; Norton thinks it knows but why download the same virus defs 15 times in 2 weeks time and still not be up to date; AVG .... jury still out; Avast, bought license and a week later system failure. Maybe it just my luck, but I'm tired install/reinstall/uninstall/try something else cycle.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
It doesn't matter what happened to the machine, the license is transferable with/to the new machine.

The only restriction would be the number of active installations, exceeding your license.

Follow what I have said above (I will break it down into steps):
Login to your my.avast.com account.
Delete the old device.
Link the new system (device) to your my.avast.com account.
Login to your my.avast.com account again and assign the license to the new system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security