Author Topic: Phone started reporting it was stolen  (Read 3675 times)

Offline catman2112

Phone started reporting it was stolen
« on: April 17, 2017, 10:37:17 PM »
So the Avast Alarm starting going off staying the phone has been lost or stolen.  Unfortunately, I never activated it.  When I logged in to my account, sure enough, it had been activated.  I deactivated it and changed my password but please look into this.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Phone started reporting it was stolen
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 10:38:07 PM »
Could be a bad contact between the SIM and the phone.

Offline catman2112

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 10:48:32 PM »
so changing the sim card would change the avast account online to switch stolen or lost and to alarm?  It's a galaxy S5 by the way...

Offline catman2112

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 04:50:56 PM »
Ok, well I didn't change the sim card...just curious because I do go overseas from time to time and wanted to know about that for when I do change the sim.

Still though, it completely wigged out on me. 

So let me ask this then  -  if the sim had bad contacts on it...and the phone went into lockdown...would it then, in fact, show up thru the avast online account as well??  Does an action that happens ON the phone show up on the web? Because it seems like someone actually did this thru the web instead of the other way around so I'm not quite clear as to why.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 06:13:29 PM »
Change the password on your avast account if you believe someone did it through the website.

A phone that is locked is not the same as a phone that has been shutdown, so yes it should show up in your account.
If for whatever reason you can't send a command through the website, use the SMS commands.

Offline Blake10

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 12:19:18 AM »
This has happened to me about 4 times and it is annoying as %3$@!  It happens whenever I get two-factor authentication text messages, and from different vendors like Twitter and Amazon.  I can't find a way to turn this off and it is embarrasing to have to tell everyone around you that your phone in your possession is not lost or stolen.  Avast, fix this now!!!