Author Topic: Does Avast license their detection rules to other, smaller mobile antivirus app  (Read 8042 times)

Offline sloshnmosh1

I had a "fake" virus warning on my brand new device and it linked to DFNDR Antivirus/cleaner on the Google play store.  I know it is a scam of course and when I was researching the app on Google  I read an article where a person downloaded the app and "decompiled" it and found the Avast "avast-android-vps-release.apk" inside of the apk.  Does Avast license out their detection engine to small, unknown app developers?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Do you really think avast would work together with a scammer ?

Offline sloshnmosh1

No! I do not! 

When I emailed the company "Psafe" to give them a hard time regarding their "advertising" they claimed it was not them and that it was possibly a "competitor" trying to make them "look bad".  Which I do not believe for one minute! 

I did a quick Google search and found a user on Reddit complaining about being led to their app on the Google play store from over 2 months ago so it certainly was nothing new.

That is why I believe the developer of the "antivirus" app is possibly using Avasts scan engine, or at the very least Avasts virus definitions illegally!

Unless of course it is "legal" to use Avasts virus definitions update .apk as they are hence my original question.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
I would say, contact avast and let them have a look at it.

Offline hermansky

• Avast team
  • Protecting world against Skynet..
Hmm guys, this is very strange. Could you share with me details via PM? I mean packagename, vendor/manufacturer of device.. Thank you!

Offline sloshnmosh1

PM has been sent.  Keep me updated as I am in communication with a supervisor at the Google play store awaiting your answer to my "licensing" query.

Thanks for your time!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
I'm very curious what is going on with that is going on with that tool...

Offline sloshnmosh1

Offline Asyn

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Merry Christmas..!!
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Win 8.1 [x64] - Avast Premier 17.9.2320.Beta#2 - CC 5.38 [OD] - MCS [OD] - EEK [OD] - FF ESR 52.5.2 [NS5/uBO] - Thunderbird 52.5 [EM]
Deutschsprachiger Bereich -> Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen und Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
Test completed with complete success.
Researcher is dead.

Heck, I was testing my new gun ;D

Offline sloshnmosh1

To answer your question Eddy: "Do you really think avast would work together with a scammer ?"

Yes! Yes I do!

After MULTIPLE emails and phone calls reporting this FRAUD to the Google play store as well as the developer "Psafe" for over a MONTH I was FINALLY told that the company IS partnered with Avast and is licensed to use Avast's detection engine as well as it's virus definitions!

The app in question is LOADED with "ads" and "analytics" making MILLIONS of dollars in revenue off of users through abtrusive targeted advertising!

It is obvious the company also employs "click farms" to post FAKE 5 star reviews.

I installed Tampermonkey on my browser and a user script to filter the "reviews" to reveal the REAL 1 star reviews that shows that users are STILL being tricked into installing the app through FAKE virus pop ups to this day! (6/28/2017)

user script found here: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/24667-google-play-review-rating-filter

Here is a user on Reddit complaining about the same fraud from 5 months ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/5pxna5/warning_about_dfndr_antivirus_cleaner/

I have reported this fraud to Google and the developer (Psafe) and have sent screenshots of the virus warnings to them and Avast and NOTHING has been done about it!

I even went so far as reporting the fraud to the registrars for the sites hosting the fake virus warnings.

As far as I'm concerned, both Google and Avast are complicit!

What is even worse is that users are complaining that they cannot uninstall the app even if they are successful in removing it from "device administrators"

Others are claiming the DFNDR app has been activating their WIFI even when they have turned it off in their reviews of the app!

Psafe reps claim that these fake virus warnings are created by "bad actors" or "competitors" trying to make them "look bad"

Take a look at how much money this company is making off this fraud and tell me if you believe that excuse.

http://www.psafe.com/en/sobre/empresa/

Psafe made a HUGE mistake by dropping a FAKE "virus" warning on my brand new 2 day old Android and then ignoring my demands to cease and desist!

Shame on you too Avast !
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 03:23:58 PM by sloshnmosh1 »

Offline sloshnmosh1

I intend on making all the emails, screenshots and communications with Psafe and Google  on a PUBLIC website or Reddit until this fraudulent activity ceases.

Stay tuned!

« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 03:24:50 PM by sloshnmosh1 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
Did you gave Hermansky the information he asked for ?

Offline sloshnmosh1

I sent more info than "Hermansky" requested. 

But I cannot tell if he works for Avast or not now that I think about it!

The user profiles are misleading.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
You can tell real easily if he works for avast or not.
All avast members have "avast team" underneath their.
People who don't have "avast team" underneath their name are not working for avast or don't have that "title" yet (mostly because they are new on this webboard)

I would say send Hermansky a message asking what the status of his investigation is.