Author Topic: Does Avast license their detection rules to other, smaller mobile antivirus app  (Read 7973 times)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
No need to thank me sloshnmosh1.
Only thing I did was using my knowledge and doing something everyone should do, namely helping someone else.

avast is not testing it because it is a possible fraud or something like that.
They are testing it to see if the tool complies to the agreement they have with that developer.

It doesn't matter if the users know that the tool is using one or more things provided by avast.

Offline sloshnmosh1

avast is not testing it because it is a possible fraud or something like that.

Well they SHOULD if they are in "collaboration" with Psafe!

I don't care how someone tries to explain this away or "sugar coat" the subject....It is FRAUD plain and simple!

Remember Eddy, I have been trying to get this resolved for over 3 months now and have been contacting Psafe, Google (and now Avast) regarding this and have RESPECTFULLY asked that they CEASE AND DESIST with the FAKE virus warnings.

Just so you know, Psafe is out of Brazil and only has two (2) apps on the Google Play store (DFNDR and PowerPro).

In the census of 2010 the population of Brazil was 207.8 million.

As of today, the DFNDR app has 4,742,385 (supposed) users.

The Avast "Mobile security and "antivirus" app has 4,715,661 (supposed) users.

How do you think a relatively "unknown" app developer has more than 26 THOUSAND more users of the DFNDR app than that of Avast's??

Psafe's own website claims their company is valued at 1 BILLION Brazilian Reals ($302,713,438.38 US dollars)

I firmly believe that this incredible amount of Play store downloads is due in no small part to the FRAUDULENT "virus"
warnings that myself and other users have been receiving and CONTINUE to receive to this day linking to the DFNDR app on the Google Play store as well as the PAID "users" at "App Bounty" that have been writing positive reviews for "credits".
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 11:19:51 PM by sloshnmosh1 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
As you don't know what deal avast has or has not, you can't say it is fraud or not.

If you believe it is fraud, go to the authorities.

Offline sloshnmosh1

As you don't know what deal avast has or has not, you can't say it is fraud or not.

It is fraud no matter how you look at it but I do not believe Avast was aware that this has been (and is still) going on.

If you believe it is fraud, go to the authorities.

That is my intention.

I had hoped in resolving this privately with the company(s) involved.

I will wait for result of Avast's "investigation" before doing so.

Offline sloshnmosh1

**UPDATE**

Just as I had thought, this fraudulent activity perpetrated by Psafe has been going on much longer than I had expected.

Take a look at the users comment on 07-05-2016 01:11 PM on the Android Central forums regarding FAKE virus warnings.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s5/456001-something-popped-up-saying-my-device-infected-virus-2.html

That post is almost a YEAR old!

EDIT

Here is one from April of 2016

https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/668939-trying-figure-out-what-psafe-legitimate.html#post5671135

MORE than a year!

EDIT

Just how long HAS this been going on?

I just found a user posting about this fraud from October of 2015!
(This is BAD!)

https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/596518-new-update-issue.html#post4758212 

Still gathering info.

I don't know how far down the rabbit hole this goes.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 07:13:44 PM by sloshnmosh1 »

Offline sloshnmosh1

Read this Play store users review from June 29th....

Offline Tereza V.

• Poster
Hi guys, thanks for your concerns about the PSafe. We are aware of this issue, due to the legitimate collaboration we established a few months ago. Avast collaborates with multiple vendors worldwide and there are many companies using Avast SDKs globally.

We have been in touch with PSafe, and we can assure you they have nothing in common with ads simulating virus alerts or other false warnings. People from PSafe are concerned about these activities as well, and they have already put a lot of energy into stopping this from happening. 

As hermansky explained earlier, terms of our collaboration are confidential, thanks for respecting that. If we ever find out any of our partners is misleading their users, we will take correspondent action.

Offline sloshnmosh1

We have been in touch with PSafe, and we can assure you they have nothing in common with ads simulating virus alerts or other false warnings. People from PSafe are concerned about these activities as well, and they have already put a lot of energy into stopping this from happening.

What a load of GARBAGE!

I have been researching this for over 5 months and 90% of all the reported FRAUDULENT "virus" warnings (or "ads" as you call them) have been linking to only 3 (three) apps on the Google play store.

They are: Psafe's DFNDR, Qihoo360 and DU cleaner.

Qihoo 360 is one of the largest investors of Psafe (and might I add is referenced INSIDE the DFNDR app itself!)

Here is a snippet from Psafe's official website:
Growing and appearing
If it's not broke, you also fix it. Pinnacle Ventures, Redpoint Ventures, and Qihoo 360 Technology funds invest US$ 30 million in PSafe. With the encouragement and hard work, the startup is the first in Latin America to achieve market value bigger than R$ 1 billion.

After all the evidence I have posted showing that this has been going on for AT LEAST a year and a half and the fact that one of the other 3 all time biggest offenders is intimately involved with Psafe and yet they (and now YOU) claim no responsibility!

As I suspected.

So  the "threat analysis" from the Avast team I have been waiting for consisted of  someone from Avast having "been in touch with Psafe" and them denying any involvement and that was it?

Well at least I know all the parties involved now.

And since this illegal activity continues TO THIS DAY after my repeated demands to cease and desist I will proceed with the only option left.

Here's todays latest screenshot from (07/06/2017) 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 04:16:42 AM by sloshnmosh1 »

Offline sloshnmosh1

Sorry about not posting in a while..(family emergency)

So i reached out to Psafe to get the mailing address for their legal department but haven't heard back yet.

Here are the latest screenshots from the last couple of days.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 12:53:47 PM by sloshnmosh1 »

Offline sloshnmosh1

I have a TON more of these..

Offline sloshnmosh1

(7) with intent to extort from any person any money or other thing of value, transmits in interstate or foreign commerce any communication containing any—
(A) threat to cause damage to a protected computer;
(B) threat to obtain information from a protected computer without authorization or in excess of authorization or to impair the confidentiality of information obtained from a protected computer without authorization or by exceeding authorized access; or
(C) demand or request for money or other thing of value in relation to damage to a protected computer, where such damage was caused to facilitate the extortion;
shall be punished as provided in subsection (c) of this section.
(b) Whoever conspires to commit or attempts to commit an offense under subsection (a) of this section shall be punished as provided in subsection (c) of this section.

Offline sloshnmosh1

So I have sent 3 different emails to 3 different contacts at Psafe over the last week and a half requesting the mailing address and contact information for their legal department and have not received a reply.

I know that Psafe has received my requests because they send out an automated response letting me know they have received my communications.

This is odd because Psafe has always responded to my previous communications within 24 hours and I used the same contacts at Psafe that I have spoken to in the past.

Perhaps Avast may be able to provide the contact information for Psafe's legal department since you have stated you "collaborate" with Psafe?

Thank you for any information you may be able to provide.

This weekend I will start the daunting task of documenting the thousands (if not millions) of users that have trouble uninstalling the DFNDR "antivirus" application.

Some users even claim that even removing the DFNDR app from "Device Administrators" they still were not able to uninstall the app.

I have a couple screenshots of users claiming that they went so far as bringing their phones back to the store where the phone was purchased and even the phone store employees were unable to unistall the DFNDR app.

Several others claimed they performed a "factory reset" because they were unable to uninstall the app.

I am aware that Psafe has directions on how to uninstall the DFNDR app on it's official webpage but obviously there are a massive amount of users that are not aware of this but I have screenshots of users stating they were still having difficulty removing the app even after following instructions.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 01:43:42 PM by sloshnmosh1 »

Offline sloshnmosh1

Hmm, the silence is deafening!

Offline sloshnmosh1

So Psafe has claimed all along that the fake virus warnings that Android users have been plagued with for over 2
years straight were not authorized by them and that they had no control over them just as they told Avast earlier in this
thread.

I was logging and taking screenshots of user complaints on the Play store DFNDR reviews and on the average there
were at least 4 complaints or more a day about the fake virus warnings from hijacked Facebook pages.
(Some of them posted in this thread above)

***Just like magic...***
within 3 days of notifying the FTC (Federal trade commission) regarding this fraudulent activity not a single user has
reported a fake virus warning!

It's been almost 2 weeks and it seems to have stopped completely!

Coincidence?
You be the judge.

Really discouraging that I had to go to a Federal agency to resolve this issue.