Author Topic: Fake Google Chrome update  (Read 6913 times)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Fake Google Chrome update
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 05:48:28 PM »
Use NortonDNS  >  https://dns.norton.com/

Alternative OpenDNS or GoogleDNS

And hope that anything not blocked is then blocked by avast ... Nothing is 100% secure   :-\

Offline TheOwner

• Poster
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 05:53:33 PM »
Yes it can help, but I use Chrome and this browser uses sanbox. So if i don't run any downloaded file i am safe if i browse on internet? Even i visit malware site, until i download something i am safe?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 05:56:20 PM by TheOwner »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2017, 06:04:11 PM »
As said, nothing is 100% and no one has yet found the impenetrable internet defence

To be 100% ... dont turn on / connect your computer    ;D

« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 06:15:52 PM by Pondus »

Offline TrueIndian

• Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2017, 09:00:35 PM »
Is there any way how block page redirecting? I hate if i enter on some safe site and i am immediately redirected to some malware site.

The usual safety measures include using adblockplus on chrome/Firefox at times it will save you if the website has a malicious ad linked to the ransom malware site.

I would say just watch out for a unknown site trying to get you to install a plugin or update.Generally these kind of ransom malware spread via .top domains.So those are the usual things to look out for. :)

Correction: Locky is pretty dead right now.These fake update things are cerber ransom.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 09:03:20 PM by TrueIndian »

Offline TheOwner

• Poster
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2017, 02:17:25 AM »
I use Adblock, but i was redirected anyway.

Offline TrueIndian

• Poster
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2017, 07:39:51 AM »
I use Adblock, but i was redirected anyway.

There must have been some js:redirector on the webpage as such. :)

Offline TheOwner

• Poster
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2017, 02:41:38 PM »
So that means if i disable javascript in browser i cannot be redirected and i am safe completely?

Offline TrueIndian

• Poster
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2017, 06:30:19 PM »
You can use noscript extension in chrome/firefox but they may block some needed js scripts on known sites :)

Just be careful of what you click on and then of course avast works very hard to keep users safe from new threats and same do we on the avast forums trying to help the users and avast getting stronger
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 06:37:15 PM by TrueIndian »

Offline TheOwner

• Poster
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2017, 03:53:52 PM »
But noscript is only for Firefox. So is here something for Chrome? I can disable javacript in options but this is for all sites and still going to options is not comfortable. Anyway i am still bit confused, disabling JS make me completely secure or not? And is here any way how play videos on dangerous sites without JS? For me never worked without JS. Thank you.

Offline TrueIndian

• Poster
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2017, 06:17:39 PM »
In my opinion use firefox and chrome with a noscript extension(for chrome you can check their store for a alternative) and adblock.

If you are not sure which site to allow the scripts just don't use the extension and be  careful of these pages claiming you to update.  :)

Avast is still on the lookout for such threats so no worries but a word of awareness while surfing online and opening email attachments is always good.

In cybersecurity,the user is always the weakest link.