Author Topic: Using Bank Mode for non-Financial Web Sites  (Read 2430 times)

REDACTED

Using Bank Mode for non-Financial Web Sites
« on: April 21, 2017, 10:28:03 AM »
Hi,

The FAQS and help information for Bank Mode only mention its use for safely and securely accessing financial Web sites. Is there any reason why it can't be used for other non-financial web sites where I want the protection it provides, for example from keyloggers getting my passwords on non-Financial Web sites?

I sincerely apologize if I'm taking the FAQs and help documents too literally. I just want to make sure I'm using the Bank Mode to its full potential and not do anything to compromise my secure browsing.

Thanks so very much for any assistance you can provide.

Best regards,

mybuddy1998

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Using Bank Mode for non-Financial Web Sites
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 11:52:08 AM »
The FAQ tells a lot more than what you say. ;)
https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB209#idt_030

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 08:28:50 PM »
Hi Eddy,

Thank you so very much for the quick reply and the link. I did read the FAQ section you directed me to and that's the section that I may be taking too literally and which prompted my post to the forum.

The section only describes using Bank Mode for banking sites. It doesn't say that the virtual desktop it creates is intended for web sites other than banking web sites for protection of your financial transactions. I understand what a virtual desktop does. My confusion is whether if the one that is implemented with Bank Mode  can be used for any type of web site, banking or not, for more secure browsing.

Again, I'm really sorry if I'm reading too much into the FAQ and taking it too literally.

I sincerely appreciate any clarification you can provide.

Best regards,

mybuddy1998

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 08:38:17 PM »
It also doesn't say that you can't use bankmode for other sites. ;)

Start bankmode and visit any site you want.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 07:52:55 AM »
Hi Eddy,

Thank you immensely again for the quick reply, the good point and suggestion. When I research my Avast questions or seek general Avast information on the forum, I read all of your posts with great interest as I hold what you have to say in the highest regard so I am very appreciative of your input on my issue. My apologies for the delay in replying - super busy day.

As you suggested, I started Bank Mode and visited several non-banking sites. No problems or error messages from Avast for any of the web sites. Then, I was looking through the settings for something and I noticed in the SafeZone Add-ons section there is an option to add custom web sites to switch to Bank Mode automatically. So, I added several non-banking sites (Amazon and a few others) and when I searched these non-bank web sites in standard mode, I was automatically switched to Bank Mode. Therefore, it appears that your point is right on target.

Again, I truly thank you for all of your help and patience.

Best regards,

mybuddy1998