Author Topic: Avast blocking network printing  (Read 5175 times)

Offline crobertson

Avast blocking network printing
« on: February 02, 2017, 05:43:23 PM »
Using endpoint protection, Avast is blocking our network printer. It shows as "offline" We can turn off the Avast and in a few seconds it shows back up online. It also blocks  our main application. I've put the path in both the firewall settings and exclusions, but no success.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: Avast blocking network printing
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 12:46:50 PM »
If you disable just the avast Firewall shield does it allow your application and printer?

From the client please post a screenshot of the firewall rules you have and we can assist in getting them adjusted to allow this.

Cheers,
Mac
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 09:38:36 PM »
Hello,

Another one here. I updated my virusscanner and now the firewall does his utmost to stop me from using a network printer:

Step1: I turned off my wirewall to be sure for ten minutes, suddenly printing worked again. Firewall is set to private (screenshot Firewall 1)
Step2: To try to get printing to work WITH a functioning Firewall, I went in settings (this is a Dutch language Avast version BTW), clicked on Internet Connection Sharing
thanks to a tip on this forum (screenshot firewall 2: ICS translates to "Modus internet verbinding delen". It seemed to work

Step 3: Alas, it only SEEMED to work, as now the Firewall is AGAIN blocking my printing. When I look in trusted adresses (vertrouwde adressen there is a range of 192.168.1 adresses that SHOULD allow me to print (see screenshot firewall3) because my printer has an adress in that range. But still i get blocked

Step4(?) Almost at my wits end, but I think I stumbled on something. Remember screenshot Firewall2? First I ticked the last box in the row (allow connections with friends or vertrouwde adressen)
after that I clicked on System rules (or systeem regels) and clicked the first box about allowing remote printing (see firewall4)

It ALMOST looked like I had it. But no, printer stopped halfway through, went through the same DAMN routine again of NOT printing anything. I give up, gonna buy a 2 euro printer cable, because after five years of working like a charm, network printing seems to have become unavailable  :-\ Unless someone here can mention something I have forgotten?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 09:45:49 PM »
This has worked on home versions, don't know about endpoints

try turn off port scan

Avast UI -> Protection -> Firewall -> Settings -> Advanced -> Uncheck "Enable automatic port scan detection"

Did that work?

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 10:06:00 PM »
Ahaaaa!

For now, it did work, so quickly print everything on the backlog (dunno if it still works tomorrow)

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 08:06:42 PM »
I believe this is in the works to be fixed permanently
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay