Author Topic: Gmail pop access problems with avast  (Read 5916 times)

rdesoras

Gmail pop access problems with avast
« on: March 23, 2006, 07:41:51 PM »
Hi !
I'm  a lot frustrated ???
Avast works fine, but since 5 days if the email scanner is on for incoming and outgoing emails my Gmail pop access through Outlook Express 6 doesn't work for sending and receiving mails!!!
No matter what!!Works fine with any other pop access (yahoo etc...)
Frustrated because it has worked well before!!
Any idea to save me anyone?
A lot of thanx

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Gmail pop access problems with avast
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 08:24:15 PM »
avast doesn't scan SSL (secure encrypted) content and gmail requires that, you are probably using the wrong port settings to access pop3 gmail.

Check out this because it seems you are experiencing a similar issue. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=20025.0

Ensure that the ports are set-up as per gmail instructions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rdesoras

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 04:51:51 PM »
i set up the connection with the gmail pop configuration utility downloaded on google site..
When i disable avas email scanning it works fine , i tried port redirection and i put the gmail port numbers,
465 for smtp et
995 for pop3 but with email scanning on it doesn't work
thanx a lot
 if you can continue helping me!!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 06:33:03 PM »
i set up the connection with the gmail pop configuration utility downloaded on google site..
It's not enough...
First of all, it's not possible scans GMail as it uses SSL (Secure Socket Layer) connections.
Avast mail scanner doesn't support SSL (Secure Socket Layer) connections.

But take a look here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=10428.0 to see how to set up secure email with avast!.

Since SSL/TLS e-mail is encrypted and decrypted in the client, external virus scanners (including avast!) can't read or scan it.
The solution is to pass e-mail in and out un-encrypted from your client (Outlook Express, Thunderbird, ...) to a proxy program (Stunnel) that does the actual ssl or tls encryption/decryption of the pop3/smtp e-mail and communicates directly with the ISP server on the appropriate ports. Another drivers (OpenSSL) are need as a library of encryption/decryption routines.

Stunnel now comes as an installer which installs Open SSL and Stunnel so now you just have to download the installer version from here http://www.stunnel.org/download/binaries.html
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 06:48:30 PM »
You shouldn't need port redirection avast scans only ports, 25, 110, 119 and 143 for email traffic. There is no point trying to get avast to scan gmail content, it is encrypted.

From the link I gave you above:
OMG!!! For some reason the smtp got set at port 25, when the actual settings should be 587.  I have now reset it to the proper setting and its working!!! I should have thought of that already. Anyway, I now have Avast working properly on my OE Thank you so much for your help!

So to me this indicates that the gmail smtp port should be 587 as a forum search for (587 gmail ) without the brackets would seem to confirm ?

More gmail links:
Gmail and Avast Providers
Redirecting multiple SSL accounts
How to handle the secure connection with a SPAM filter and avast!
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 03:29:11 AM »
Easiest solution is to leave antivirus scanning to gmail... they scan all incomming and outgoing mails, so no need for avast! to scan them too.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

greenhatch

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 03:04:18 PM »
Easiest solution is to leave antivirus scanning to gmail... they scan all incomming and outgoing mails, so no need for avast! to scan them too.

However, GMail just scans attachments (and blocks exe files too) but does not scan the body of the email.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 03:13:38 PM »
As it's mentioned many times in the past... avast! doesn't work with SSL connections and probably never will (Vlk's words from one of his replies), so why not simply receive/send your gmail mails through their nice web access ? I am sure one of avast! providers will catch if anything is suspicious with anything you are accessing through web access. ;)
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s