Author Topic: C++ Buffer overrun  (Read 2720 times)

suzukiman

C++ Buffer overrun
« on: March 25, 2006, 08:33:40 PM »
I just installed a RAID array in my PC and migrated all programs and system files over without rinstalling the OS or any programs. Right now the only problem I am having is Avast! home edition not running. I try ot start it manually, but I get a window that pops up and wants me to upgrade to professional edition.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program, but I get an error both uninstalling and reinstalling that says:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Buffer Overrun Detected!
Program: ...~1/locals~1/TEMP/_AV_SFX.TM~A03744/AVAST.SETUP
A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the program's internal state. The program cannot safely continue execution and must now be terminated.

Any suggestions?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: C++ Buffer overrun
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 04:30:27 AM »
I've got one of this error message...
But I click ok (the only option) so fast that I did not realise it was avast.
I thought it was Microsoft Word instead.
I'll take a look closer next time.

If you update to the new (last) VPS version, will it be ok in your computer?
avast has an antipiracy feature when coping (cloning) HDD.
In fact it does now 'want' you to upgrade but just add a new, working key, for Home version.
If you click ashavast.exe, will you be able to get the splash window and the write (paste) the new key?
If you can't, just run ashdisp.exe and, from the 'a' blue icon, choose About dialog and add the new (working) key  8)
The best things in life are free.

Forejt

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 04:04:27 PM »
If it's displayed during update with avast installed, edit avast4\setup\setup.ini file and add the following value:
[BufferLog]
Enable=1

Then start update manually. After it crashes, send me last section of avast4\setup\setup.log that starts after the last line that contains "Started: ". Or send the whole setup.log to my email.

If setup crashes on fresh install, create admin.ini in the same folder as setupeng.exe with this contents:
[BufferLog.setupini]
Enable=1

and run with commandline setupeng.exe /savelog "c:\avsetup.log". It will start installation with default settings in silent mode (only small progress window will be shown). Check if c:\avsetup.log was created and send it to me

suzukiman

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 01:29:23 AM »
I don't know what happened, but it fixed itself. I restarted yesterday morning and it worked properly. I have no idea what happened or why, but it fixed itself.