Author Topic: CLARIA EXITING ADWARE BUSINESS  (Read 4597 times)

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
CLARIA EXITING ADWARE BUSINESS
« on: March 27, 2006, 04:50:14 PM »
One is out, but it's just a drop in the ocean.  :-\

http://www.claria.com/companyinfo/press/releases/pr060321.html

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: CLARIA EXITING ADWARE BUSINESS
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 05:04:28 PM »
Given this momentum, Claria will exit out of the adware business by the end of the second quarter of 2006.

Why would they wait ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: CLARIA EXITING ADWARE BUSINESS or not really?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 08:29:24 PM »
Hi DavidR,

Why, you ask, why? Because it is a smokescreen, my dear Watson, and because that has been part of their trickbook as always. Read here:
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20060321/1511205.shtml

Maybe Claria stops, but if we are left by Claria-claria?????

polonus
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 08:32:13 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 08:54:34 PM »
Why doesn't avast, after such a time in the the antivirus market, enter into the antispyware market?
Same procedure of signatures detection, cleaning similar to avast! Cleaner, scanning engine, etc. etc.

I never understood this...  :-\
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 10:50:46 PM »
Hi DavidR,

Why, you ask, why? Because it is a smokescreen, my dear Watson, and because that has been part of their trickbook as always. Read here:
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20060321/1511205.shtml

Maybe Claria stops, but if we are left by Claria-claria?????

Which is pretty much my thoughts Claria might not be doing it, Claria will still make the product/s to collect the data, develop the behavioural marketing tools and sell the technology to others to use. No change in the outcome, just that Claria aren't directly using the tools.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Staind

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 03:30:23 AM »
Why doesn't avast, after such a time in the the antivirus market, enter into the antispyware market?
Same procedure of signatures detection, cleaning similar to avast! Cleaner, scanning engine, etc. etc.

I never understood this...  :-\
It might be expensive to start up another team to also do antispyware.  It might be possible to have the same team working on viruses and antispyware, but that might limit the amount of outbreaks and updates to the main Avast! antivirus program.  Also, it seems like Microsoft will dominant the antispyware market once Vista is released.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 06:31:31 PM »
Hi Staind,

We should be glad that we are left with just a few good programs, that have free spin-offs for non-commercial use, like ZA and our so beloved avast. We have to come to the conclusion that a lot of them are disappearing in a reshape of the mono-culture of the all-purpose malware solution landscape. I specially mean the free software firewall market, that lost some important players to either a buy-out or were dis-continued.
If those left are also going to decide what to protect against, it is bad for transparency. You can think of examples yourself, I guess.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

CharleyO

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 03:03:59 AM »

I do not really think MS will dominate the anti-spyware market ... even with the release of Vista. We all know MS is a "lumbering giant" and that lumbering giants are just too slow.

The 2 best in that field now, Ad-Aware & Spybot, can not catch all of them. And, when you throw in SpywareBlaster plus many other such programs, there are still a few spywares that get by the defences. No, not any one anti-spyware program will ever truely dominate. There are just too many varibles for that to happen.

justin1278

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 04:54:13 AM »
I agree with CharleyO. No matter what you buy or get for free there will always be something that will not be detected people say Webroot has perfect detection but as many people know on this forum Webroot has also had its share of False Postitives and not detecting threats.