Author Topic: [Problem Report] Web Shield Interfering with Viewing of Webcam Video Streams  (Read 6171 times)

REDACTED

The Web Shield component of Avast version 17.3.2291 (build 17.3.3443.0) is causing problems with the viewing of webcam video streams from both the LAN and WAN.  This issue occurs regardless of the Windows OS and brower--tested with various PCs and browsers.  Streaming is from Yawcam version 0.6.0 (build 2016-05-11) that used to work flawlessly with prior versions of Avast.  Yawcam streaming utilizes JavaScript--latest Java version version 8 update 131 (build 1.8.0_131-b11) installed.  When Web Shield is disabled, the stream could be viewed normally without any problem.  Disabling 'Game Mode' did not make any difference, nor did adding URLs to 'Exclusions' and/or 'Script Exclusions'.  The only temporary solution currently is to turn OFF Web Shield whenever viewing of the webcam video stream is needed.  Please investigate and resolve.  Thank you in advance.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Are these streams viewed over your local network, e.g. the webcam has a local IP address ?

If so try avastUI > Components > Web Shield > Customise > Main Settings and try Checking  the 'Scan traffic from well-known browser processes only' option.

You might also need the avastUI > Settings > Troubleshooting - scroll down to Redirect Settings - you could opt to enter the local IP address of the webcam and Check the 'ignore local communication' option.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

Avast updated to version 17.4.2294 (build 17.4.3482.0) and problem still persist.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Have you tried the suggestions in my last post as you made no mention of it ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

Based on the other thread we have been discussing this topic in, try placing Avast in Passive Mode (basically turning it completely off). This has fixed our issues until Avast can fix this.

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Hi
Based on the other thread we have been discussing this topic in, try placing Avast in Passive Mode (basically turning it completely off). This has fixed our issues until Avast can fix this.
Of course without antivirus
In french forum 2 threads about webcam 1-HUE HD and 2-SOMFY alarm who don't work due to web shield and real Site.
Something bad with local network

however I will purpose them DavidR suggestions

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Hi
Of course without antivirus
In french forum 2 threads about webcam 1-HUE HD and 2-SOMFY alarm who don't work due to web shield and real Site.
Something bad with local network

however I will purpose them DavidR suggestions

I would appreciate that, as this used to be the workaround some time ago with webcams. Of course avast has changed somewhat since then, but I think since these settings still exist in the UI it would be worth a try.

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
For the 1-HUE HD (USB) webcam user , it didn't work
I did not pay attention yesterday but as it is a USB device, this may be normal because it is not related to the local network.
The problem is rather identical on this thread

No news from 2-SOMFY alarm user , this time related to local network adresse (192.168.x.xxx)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
For the 1-HUE HD (USB) webcam user , it didn't work
I did not pay attention yesterday but as it is a USB device, this may be normal because it is not related to the local network.
The problem is rather identical on this thread

No news from 2-SOMFY alarm user , this time related to local network adresse (192.168.x.xxx)

I think the previous settings are for network connected webcams cable or wifi. You are probably correct in the case of the USB connected devices.

That said, I just wonder if an exclusion based (Global or FSS exclusion) on the USB location might work. Given that the USB could have a different drive letter assigned by windows (depending on other USB devices) using the ? wildcard for the drive letter as in the image example.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
Hi tli,

we were unsuccessful in replicating the issue with yawcam. Do you have avast installed on both PC - the one where the physical camera is connected and on the one where you want to see the stream? On which on the PCs does turning WebShield off helps? On the source or destination?

Thanks a lot,
Lukas.

REDACTED

Hi Lukas,
Thank you for your reply and investigation into this issue.  Both on webcam stream servers and remote clients have the latest version 17.4.2294 (build 17.4.3482.0) of Avast installed.  The servers appear to be working just fine with Avast enabled.  The problem is with the remote clients with Avast installed.  Only when Avast Web Shield is disabled would the webcam stream become viewable without any problems.  The problem is repeatable on multiple PC clients with various Windows OS versions and browsers.  BTW, Android clients are not affected even with Avast installed (version 6.0.1--didn't update to the latest version as uncertain if it may also be problematic.)  If you should need any additional info and/or want me to test any Avast setup configurations and betas, please let me know.  Thanks again!--tli

REDACTED

Problem still persists with the latest Virus Definitions Update, version 170509-0.

Offline Filip Braun

• Avast team
Hello,

Thank you for reporting this.
For analysis we need some logs.
First enable debug logging: GUI -> Settings -> General -> Maitenance -> Enable debug logging
Then reproduce the issue (Try to use the cam/visit the website).
Then create support package and submit it (https://www.avast.com/en-us/faq.php?article=AVKB33) and send me a message with the ID of created package so we can find it.

Thank you,
Filip

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
tli, perform a clean installation with the off-line installer for the latest avast version and check if the problem is solved.