Author Topic: Critical! AVAST (and AVG) are stopping video streams from local USB cameras  (Read 19819 times)

REDACTED

We are company manufacturing cameras for medical use. Starting Saturday, we have fielded multiple customer calls where the video would not display unless AVG or Avast are uninstalled or in passive mode.
We tried even with a regular webcam and the issue replicates every single time. We are using amcap for testing.

Please escalate the issue. It is disruptive to potentially millions and is easy to reproduce (hence fix)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 06:13:55 PM by Lensiora »

REDACTED

I don't know if your issue is related to the problem I'd reported yesterday at:

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=201645.msg1390474#msg1390474

REDACTED

Maybe they have a common root however I would say they are different issues as nothing eliminates this issue other than uninstalling or setting complete passive mode. Also there is no network involved in this scenario, the streams are displayed from cameras (even webcams) installed locally via USB

REDACTED

Agreed, in my case, there's no issue with viewing video locally, via Yawcam, on the PC with the connected USB webcam, Avast installed, and all its shields active.  The problem occurs in stream viewing on remote PCs that have Avast installed and Web Shield enabled.

REDACTED

Maybe your issue is related to my problem, it's same of using Directshow capture device
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=201635.0

So i think it's not a individual case.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 05:45:50 AM by aarv »

REDACTED

I agree. Seems to be related to DirectShow indeed. And as AVG an AVAST share some code, it happens to both. Maybe a developer will see this and do a quick test, I am surprised there aren't more reporting this. is likely that they do not know the AV is killing their webcams.

REDACTED

I have this confirmed issue with my medical cameras too. Wasted so much time to figure out it was Avast.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
If you are using avast then I suggest that you update to the latest version, 17.4.2294 released today.

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=201729.0

Short of that have you tried the suggestion in the link given by tli in Reply #1.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

I have updated to latest version and cameras still do not work.

REDACTED

Since the update this past weekend, around 4/29/17, both Avast and AVG have blocked users' webcams on our platforms. This has happened for over 20+ users with Windows 7, 8.1, and 10. I have tested and confirmed in-house with reliable results. Adding exceptions or testing many settings has not worked. Only setting Avast to passive mode has worked. This same issue happened with AVG, a company purchased by Avast last year. This seems to be a common thread here. Please work on this. I called the helpdesk and they wanted premium support for a clear issue with the program. Other anti-virus programs have worked well.

Troubleshooting notes:
Added folder exception for the entire AppData\Local folder.
Added program exception for .exe in Cyber Capture.
Added program exception for .exe in Hardened mode options.
Added URL exceptions
Turned off File Shield, Web Shield, and Mail Shield under Protection -> Anti-virus.
Turned off Cyber Capture.
Firewall options are a paid feature. Maybe firewall is not active in free version.
Tried a manual join of the .exe instead of launching through our website. No webcam.
There is an option called automatic port scan detection. No access to this due to free version. Avast UI -> Protection -> Firewall -> Settings -> Advanced -> Uncheck "Enable automatic port scan detection".
Disabled behavior shield.
I killed Avast in task manager, no change. (self-defense mechanisms likely prevented this)
Disabling Avast on startup, then restarting provided no change.
-   The Avast service was still running in the background.
-   The Avast behavior scanning service was still running in the background.
Components ->  File System Shield -> Customize -> Added exclusion exe folder.
Components ->  Behavior Shield -> Customize -> Added exclusion exe folder.
Components ->  Web Shield -> Customize -> Added exclusion to .exe.
Turned Avast to Passive Mode. Worked following prompted restart.
Not working anymore after turning Passive mode to Active and restarting.
Added the two removed exceptions back in, but no change.
Re-activating the disabled processes did not make any changes.
Turned discovery of suspicious files to “ask” instead of disconnect.
Added script exclusions.
Turning off HTTPS scanning did not work.
Restart. Webcam not working.
Turned off script blocking.
Smart scan (Explorer) – Heuristics off.
Tried redirecting the ports under Troubleshooting -> Redirect Settings. Platform would not even launch under 443 or 80 redirect.
Set file system shield settings to ask when encountering a suspicious program
Plugged in and attempted to use a Logitech C270 external USB webcam
I turned Avast back to passive mode and restarted. This worked.
Turning the passive mode to active mode caused the external webcam to no longer work.

This issue appeared for other users with TV ;capture cards: https://forum   .avast    .com/index.php?topic=201635.0
Also, https://forum     .avast        .com/index.php?topic=201702.0

5/3/17 Notes:
Updated Avast in the AM as there was a patch – no change after restart.
Followed recommendations in this post: https://forum     .avast      .com/index.php?topic=201645.0
   -Scan traffic from well-known browser processes
   -ignored redirecting local communications

Called Avast support: 1-844-340-9251
Demonstrated the issue to the helpdesk. The helpdesk member, confirmed that he thought Avast was the root cause, but stated Total Care would be needed to continue.

REDACTED

I should note that in my testing of the issue, the webcam continues to work in Windows 7 using Silverlight and Win 10 using the built-in Camera app. This is despite the webcam not working in the video conferencing platforms.

REDACTED

Passive mode has allowed my cameras to work, but I prefer not to use passive long term. THanks for the temp fix to use the devices.

REDACTED

Since the update this past weekend, around 4/29/17, both Avast and AVG have blocked users' webcams on our platforms. This has happened for over 20+ users with Windows 7, 8.1, and 10. I have tested and confirmed in-house with reliable results. Adding exceptions or testing many settings has not worked. Only setting Avast to passive mode has worked. This same issue happened with AVG, a company purchased by Avast last year. This seems to be a common thread here. Please work on this. I called the helpdesk and they wanted premium support for a clear issue with the program. Other anti-virus programs have worked well.

Troubleshooting notes:
Added folder exception for the entire AppData\Local folder.
Added program exception for .exe in Cyber Capture.
Added program exception for .exe in Hardened mode options.
Added URL exceptions
Turned off File Shield, Web Shield, and Mail Shield under Protection -> Anti-virus.
Turned off Cyber Capture.
Firewall options are a paid feature. Maybe firewall is not active in free version.
Tried a manual join of the .exe instead of launching through our website. No webcam.
There is an option called automatic port scan detection. No access to this due to free version. Avast UI -> Protection -> Firewall -> Settings -> Advanced -> Uncheck "Enable automatic port scan detection".
Disabled behavior shield.
I killed Avast in task manager, no change. (self-defense mechanisms likely prevented this)
Disabling Avast on startup, then restarting provided no change.
-   The Avast service was still running in the background.
-   The Avast behavior scanning service was still running in the background.
Components ->  File System Shield -> Customize -> Added exclusion exe folder.
Components ->  Behavior Shield -> Customize -> Added exclusion exe folder.
Components ->  Web Shield -> Customize -> Added exclusion to .exe.
Turned Avast to Passive Mode. Worked following prompted restart.
Not working anymore after turning Passive mode to Active and restarting.
Added the two removed exceptions back in, but no change.
Re-activating the disabled processes did not make any changes.
Turned discovery of suspicious files to “ask” instead of disconnect.
Added script exclusions.
Turning off HTTPS scanning did not work.
Restart. Webcam not working.
Turned off script blocking.
Smart scan (Explorer) – Heuristics off.
Tried redirecting the ports under Troubleshooting -> Redirect Settings. Platform would not even launch under 443 or 80 redirect.
Set file system shield settings to ask when encountering a suspicious program
Plugged in and attempted to use a Logitech C270 external USB webcam
I turned Avast back to passive mode and restarted. This worked.
Turning the passive mode to active mode caused the external webcam to no longer work.

This issue appeared for other users with TV ;capture cards: https://forum   .avast    .com/index.php?topic=201635.0
Also, https://forum     .avast        .com/index.php?topic=201702.0

5/3/17 Notes:
Updated Avast in the AM as there was a patch – no change after restart.
Followed recommendations in this post: https://forum     .avast      .com/index.php?topic=201645.0
   -Scan traffic from well-known browser processes
   -ignored redirecting local communications

Called Avast support: 1-844-340-9251
Demonstrated the issue to the helpdesk. The helpdesk member, confirmed that he thought Avast was the root cause, but stated Total Care would be needed to continue.

I made the same steps, i totally agree with him !

REDACTED

Does anyone have the Internet Security version or the Premier? If someone experiencing this could enter a real ticket, that would be great.

REDACTED

We are company manufacturing cameras for medical use. Starting Saturday, we have fielded multiple customer calls where the video would not display unless AVG or Avast are uninstalled or in passive mode.
We tried even with a regular webcam and the issue replicates every single time. We are using amcap for testing.

Please escalate the issue. It is disruptive to potentially millions and is easy to reproduce (hence fix)

Hello,

We have the same isue !!

Wa are also a company manufacturing camera for optical via port COM and our custumers are experiencing the same issue.