Author Topic: Critical! AVAST (and AVG) are stopping video streams from local USB cameras  (Read 19818 times)

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Hi,
I think any components that can make captures are likely to encounter problems with avast.
Finally, rather the programs (signatures) of these devices.
As we can see here and on the forums of other languages, there are quite a number of relevant devices (TV tuner, webcam, alarms, ...)
Let's wait for tomorrow's update.

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
It seems there was a problem with some webcam apps which avast could block. This will be fixed with a VPS update on Tuesday. It didn't affect well-known webcam apps (Skype, ...), but only new/uncommon webcam apps, this was caused by a bug in our rating system.
Thanks for the comment, pk. I'll test with my own web-camera tomorrow.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 06:55:28 PM by NON »
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

Offline suk

• Avast team
The issue with blocking [some] webcam programs was fixed in the latest virus definition update.
Can you let us know if it fixed your issues? Some people reported that the issue was in streaming (which we couldn't reproduce) rather than viewing the video, so I just want to make sure we've covered all these aspects.

Thank you for reporting all these details, it really helped to diagnose the problem,
Pavel

REDACTED

Thank you for your response. This has been fixed in OmniJoin.

REDACTED

Latest VSP update fixed our videophone software's local screen issue as well. Many thanks.

REDACTED

Problem is fixed with the latest update.

REDACTED

Getting reports that it appears to be fixed with OBS Studio as well.  I apologize for getting worked up earlier.  Thank you very much for fixing the problem and communicating.

REDACTED

Does anyone know if this has been fixed for iSpy? This has caused a major issue for iSpy users.
There was a CRITICAL thread on iSpy about this aswell.

I have completely removed AVAST and I was about to go the Zone Alarm Antivirus way (since I already had the ZA firewall) - it was almost time to say goodbye to AVAST forever after all this years - since this issue was just incredibly serious for me.

Please let me know if its fixed for iSpy and then I will re-install AVAST - otherwise I dare not risk.
Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Does anyone know if this has been fixed for iSpy? This has caused a major issue for iSpy users.
There was a CRITICAL thread on iSpy about this aswell.

I have completely removed AVAST and I was about to go the Zone Alarm Antivirus way (since I already had the ZA firewall) - it was almost time to say goodbye to AVAST forever after all this years - since this issue was just incredibly serious for me.

Please let me know if its fixed for iSpy and then I will re-install AVAST - otherwise I dare not risk.
Thanks

See Reply #32 above  https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=201702.msg1392597#msg1392597.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

OK. I will re-install and try iSpy tomorrow. The reason I asked is because I assumed, maybe wrongly, that AVAST is trying to block spyware from secretly monitoring your webcam device - thus they created a white list of "allowed" software that can use the USB Capture device. I thought maybe they thought they have fixed it by just adding softwares mentioned in the complaints, to their white list. Thus was my question whether iSpy is on that white list?
What I am hoping then is that they have completely removed the AVAST capability to block ANY application from accessing the webcam.
Hey AVAST guys, I hope you have learned from this episode...its been disastrous and I don't understand why you did not see this coming? I wasted many days and precious hours. We were all going mad in the iSpy forums until someone in there pointed us towards AVAST / AVG forums. The absolute LEAST that you should have done is stick on a warning on your homepage about this problem or ensure that everyone using AVAST suddenly gets some sort of message/popup in their software telling them about this nasty issue. It shouldn't have been for me to waste my time and come hunting for you.