Author Topic: NEW version: Avast 17.4.2294  (Read 98442 times)

Offline TheOwner

• Poster
Re: NEW version: Avast 17.4.2294
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2017, 11:19:32 PM »
Thanks for update. I did clean install.  Here are some bugs i found:
1. Scanning files inside virus chest still not working.
2. When scanning by Smart scan or other virus tests, progress popup percentage does not match with percentage in main window. Also if i close popup, it reopen again sometimes.
3. When opening Notifications, it opens like game with 10 FPS. I think whole gui is slow but most noticeable is in notifications.
4. Selfdef.log contain this (Czech langugage) "Přístup pro zápis do souboru \Device\HarddiskVolume3\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\settings.manifest odepřen. [C:\Program Files\Common Files\AV\avast! Antivirus\backup.exe][2]" Also i have no file called settings.manifest in this location.

I would like to know if someone found those issues too. Thank you.

Hi,

ad 2) we are working on the popup right now, it should be fixed in next version
ad 3) what is your PC specification please? are other animations in UI also slow for you?

Hello,
yes all animations are very slow. GUI is definitely not smooth. (Only GUI is slow, PC is super fast with Avast installed). I always do clean install if  i install new version. My spec: Asus Maximus VII Ranger,  Intel Core i5 4690k, Nvidia GTX 770 (Driver 382.05), 8 GB RAM, Win 7 64bit. I never had other security software installed on my PC.

Update: Today i did clean install on other PC. Version 17.3 GUI was much more smooth. After install version 17.4 all 4 issues i writted above are the same. I hope you fix this.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 11:05:37 AM by TheOwner »

Offline NSchwender

« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2017, 10:05:20 AM »
Hello!
After updating, on this version, does VirtualBox work at all ?

No, with this new version while avast is running VirtualBox does not start. Only disabling Avas helps. (OS: Windows 10 pro 64 bits)

REDACTED

« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2017, 10:25:42 AM »
I can confirm (w7):

VirtuaBox does not start (properly) with v17.4.

VBoxSVC.exe gets one core to 100%. The only way to get VirtualBox to finish starting (properly) and VBoxSVC.exe to stop demanding one cpu core for itself ongoing is to disable file system shield. Then the VirtualBox GUI appears and VBoxSVC.exe drops to 0% cpu load.

Once the VirtualBox GUI is there, the file system shield (FSS) can be switched on again. Starting a VM is possible with FSS enabled.

But when closing the VM (with saving the state) FSS has to be disabled again otherwise VBoxSVC.exe will run wild again.

That's still true with vps 170506-0 that just came out.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 11:06:31 AM by a-user »

Offline Tobur

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2017, 11:17:25 AM »
Windows XP SP3 -  I still have 'UI failed to load' problem but with 17.4.2291 I was at least able to scan individual files and folders from the right-click menu. This is now no longer possible with 17.4.2294 - when I try it Avast attempts (and fails) to open the UI. Before 17.4.2291 everything  was working smoothly but since then each program update has created more and more problems.

Offline Giraffe

• I'm not a Lama!
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2017, 11:45:08 AM »
In general I prefer to read comments for a few days before updating. Having looked at them so far, I seen no reason to have this version.
However, Avast now has an exclamation mark and tells me that I'm vulnerable because I haven't updated. This is getting a bit like Windows 10, so how much longer before we have no choice!
If there's going to be a warning I want it for a real problem, not just because I'm avoiding a flakey update of no real value.
W7 Pro SP1 32 bit
Intel Core i5 5675C; 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Avast!: 2328; Comodo Firewall

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2017, 12:08:42 PM »
In general I prefer to read comments for a few days before updating. Having looked at them so far, I seen no reason to have this version.
However, Avast now has an exclamation mark and tells me that I'm vulnerable because I haven't updated. This is getting a bit like Windows 10, so how much longer before we have no choice!
If there's going to be a warning I want it for a real problem, not just because I'm avoiding a flakey update of no real value.

Then switch that option off - avastUI > Settings > General > scroll down to 'Status Monitoring' and uncheck the Program version option.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2017, 09:54:42 PM »
DavidR, thanks for the reminder. I always check all options of the status monitoring, but never thought of going there when I wanted to stay on an older version and get rid of that annoying exclamation mark.

For now, I'm back on v12.1, at least until the current file system shield problem is fixed. This time I chose v12.1 over 12.3 because if I decide to stay there longer I can disable my (hourly) script that reverses the Windows Defender disabling "feature" that came with v12.2.

(Not that I would let Windows Defender ever work in the background but I also don't like it if other software wants to tell me which software I can run and which I can't, especially if it just decides to come up with such a feature after years without it - without it being any problem.)

It's unbelievable how I got used to the slow starting and the big size of the GUI that came with v17. With v12 it's fast and has an acceptable size.

Offline Smartik

« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2017, 10:29:17 PM »
Thanks for update. I did clean install.  Here are some bugs i found:
1. Scanning files inside virus chest still not working.
2. When scanning by Smart scan or other virus tests, progress popup percentage does not match with percentage in main window. Also if i close popup, it reopen again sometimes.
3. When opening Notifications, it opens like game with 10 FPS. I think whole gui is slow but most noticeable is in notifications.
4. Selfdef.log contain this (Czech langugage) "Přístup pro zápis do souboru \Device\HarddiskVolume3\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\settings.manifest odepřen. [C:\Program Files\Common Files\AV\avast! Antivirus\backup.exe][2]" Also i have no file called settings.manifest in this location.

I would like to know if someone found those issues too. Thank you.

Hi,

ad 2) we are working on the popup right now, it should be fixed in next version
ad 3) what is your PC specification please? are other animations in UI also slow for you?

Hello,
yes all animations are very slow. GUI is definitely not smooth. (Only GUI is slow, PC is super fast with Avast installed). I always do clean install if  i install new version. My spec: Asus Maximus VII Ranger,  Intel Core i5 4690k, Nvidia GTX 770 (Driver 382.05), 8 GB RAM, Win 7 64bit. I never had other security software installed on my PC.

Update: Today i did clean install on other PC. Version 17.3 GUI was much more smooth. After install version 17.4 all 4 issues i writted above are the same. I hope you fix this.
I can confirm slow GUI (both Avast as well as Discord). I have i7-4770k with 16gb ram and GTX 1070. It only started after the latest Avast update.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2017, 11:24:36 PM »
DavidR, thanks for the reminder. I always check all options of the status monitoring, but never thought of going there when I wanted to stay on an older version and get rid of that annoying exclamation mark.

For now, I'm back on v12.1, at least until the current file system shield problem is fixed. This time I chose v12.1 over 12.3 because if I decide to stay there longer I can disable my (hourly) script that reverses the Windows Defender disabling "feature" that came with v12.2.
<snip>
It's unbelievable how I got used to the slow starting and the big size of the GUI that came with v17. With v12 it's fast and has an acceptable size.

1.  You're welcome, when faced with what you would consider a pain in the backside, it is often hard to be rational and look for a feature in the UI that would restrict it.

2.  I'm only on 17.4.2294 on this XP Pro system (my other two win7 and win10 systems I have on 12.3.2280 as I'm not in love with 17.x.x and I still feel it is work in progress and I'm not ready to commit to it yet.

3.  I absolutely hate the 17.x.x UI size when there is so much empty space, but I simply can't understand the intransigence to allow the user to resize this to suit their own requirements. Allied to this I totally dislike the fact that when opened it is centre screen in your face, move it to a position, close it, open it and it is back in your face again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Smartik

« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2017, 12:02:13 AM »

<snip>

1.  You're welcome, when faced with what you would consider a pain in the backside, it is often hard to be rational and look for a feature in the UI that would restrict it.

2.  I'm only on 17.4.2294 on this XP Pro system (my other two win7 and win10 systems I have on 12.3.2280 as I'm not in love with 17.x.x and I still feel it is work in progress and I'm not ready to commit to it yet.

3.  I absolutely hate the 17.x.x UI size when there is so much empty space, but I simply can't understand the intransigence to allow the user to resize this to suit their own requirements. Allied to this I totally dislike the fact that when opened it is centre screen in your face, move it to a position, close it, open it and it is back in your face again.
There are multiple things I very much dislike about the GUI. It feels like they are dumbing it down to a point where you lose control and visibility. Example: "We have identified 1 issue -> Fix All button". Um, what issues did you identify? What is your suggested fix? How about letting me know so I can decide for myself if I want the fix or not? I very much dislike when programs attempt to think for me as I have seen my fair share of them fail miserably.

Anyways considering how many things broke with this update (as shown by all the threads popping up related to the file system shield), is there a plan for a rollback?

On another note, does anyone have an older installer that won't update itself during setup? Avast is not usable for me in the state it is in right now. Don't want to have an antivirus with a file system shield disabled just to keep my pc operational. Thanks
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 12:04:06 AM by Smartik »

REDACTED

« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2017, 02:50:43 AM »
I don't know for sure what Avast direction is. I've been using them since almost the beginning, gosh, i can't remember ! I've installed avast on every single computer i get access to, including those of my family and workplace.

How did they managed to screw up so badly? And prior to this version, idk if they have other updates that has it's own topic that received as much flak as this thread, so i'm gonna take it as it is, that this is the WORST version they've ever released.

I like the idea of going back version, i'm gonna search how it can be done, as pointed above the version doesn't bring any advantages to anything, and the only real advantage here is the definition update. Let's be real here, what's the point of updating the F*ng core if it doesn't help? I've never see a need for windows to update the defender's core, only updates the definition of it. Even if they did, i don't see bloody GUI changes and critically breaking changes that screws up the file system !

Avast, i'm giving you 3 days, if you don't do a rollback or find a fix and then STOP all future updates without first testing it on your own system that simulates the millions of users you're affecting, i'm gonna uninstall your crap (which is a pain but necessary) from every single system i've installed it in, and i'm gonna leave a neg review everywhere i see someone recommend avast.

3 days. You hear me?

Oh and, f*ng please fix your G damn forum that requires a f*ng captcha (that i can't even read even though i can solve 99.99% of the captcha out there except this one which i need to fire the audio version) every single post and edits.

You're just being lazy, or at least hire a mod that deals with spam, you had money don't you?

REDACTED

« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2017, 03:19:30 AM »
As crazy as it sounds i think i found the fix to this file system issue.

I tick this 2 things, restarted my PC (i need to hard restart since it failed to boot if i restart, idk if you will have this issue)

And that's it. Programs now launch without issues.

REDACTED

« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2017, 11:19:03 AM »
Dude, that worked, thanks a lot !

REDACTED

« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2017, 11:35:58 AM »

I tick this 2 things, restarted my PC (i need to hard restart since it failed to boot if i restart, idk if you will have this issue)

didnt helped, i don't have nested thing...using latest version, still not loading UI :(

Offline Smartik

« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2017, 12:08:15 PM »
I don't know for sure what Avast direction is. I've been using them since almost the beginning, gosh, i can't remember ! I've installed avast on every single computer i get access to, including those of my family and workplace.

How did they managed to screw up so badly? And prior to this version, idk if they have other updates that has it's own topic that received as much flak as this thread, so i'm gonna take it as it is, that this is the WORST version they've ever released.

I like the idea of going back version, i'm gonna search how it can be done, as pointed above the version doesn't bring any advantages to anything, and the only real advantage here is the definition update. Let's be real here, what's the point of updating the F*ng core if it doesn't help? I've never see a need for windows to update the defender's core, only updates the definition of it. Even if they did, i don't see bloody GUI changes and critically breaking changes that screws up the file system !

Avast, i'm giving you 3 days, if you don't do a rollback or find a fix and then STOP all future updates without first testing it on your own system that simulates the millions of users you're affecting, i'm gonna uninstall your crap (which is a pain but necessary) from every single system i've installed it in, and i'm gonna leave a neg review everywhere i see someone recommend avast.

3 days. You hear me?

Oh and, f*ng please fix your G damn forum that requires a f*ng captcha (that i can't even read even though i can solve 99.99% of the captcha out there except this one which i need to fire the audio version) every single post and edits.

You're just being lazy, or at least hire a mod that deals with spam, you had money don't you?
I agree with the fact that I've also used Avast for the past 10 years or more, but this version is the worst by far, slowing down so many programs it is not worth having. I already mentioned the captcha in another thread as what they have is not something even humans can read. They did say they don't have the problem on their system, but there are too few testers and too many other factors that could influence the behavior (the few people have no way of testing all possible hardware and software variations). What I don't agree with is the lack of damage control. If I see my update screwed up so many things for other people, I will roll it back and do further testing, maybe collect logs and additional information from the affected people. I am sure they wouldn't mind providing the info if only they didn't have to deal with this mess in the meantime.

Not sure why it helps some people, but for more of us this is ticked by default.

<snip>

Do you have the v12 installer?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 12:10:30 PM by Smartik »