Author Topic: Discord issues?  (Read 12096 times)

REDACTED

Discord issues?
« on: May 03, 2017, 11:55:33 PM »
Howdy howdy howdy! I seem to be having trouble with Avast and Discord fighting one another. More specifically, if Avast shields are on, my notifications, messages, and whatnot seem to be delayed by a large margin!Disabling the shields prevents issues though.

For those of your curious.

Windows 10 with creators update.

Latest Avast (just updated, might restart again to see if that fixes any hiccups)

Avast Free edition.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

REDACTED

Re: Discord issues?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 12:03:07 AM »
After a few seconds of testing i have identified that it is the file system scan shield that is causing discord oddness! Why would that be the case though?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 12:04:31 AM »
Not a single problem with avast free (2294) and Discord.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 12:26:45 AM »
I have achieved success in fixing the problem! I ran a repair of avast, and although it didn't prompt a restart, I did a restart.

After waiting a short while for all the default start up programs to finish (avast, windows, etc) I was able to run discord with no more issues!

Hopefully it remains as such for the future.

For those of you who have this similar issue, please remember.

Repair, Restart, and wait.

Sorry if i step on any toes with that. Have a wonderful day!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 12:28:34 AM »
After changing things, it never hurts to restart.
After all, it is Windows ;D

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 12:51:59 AM »
I unfortunately spoke too soon! I left my computer idle for a while to attend to the needs of my nephew and when i returned discord still had issues!

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 03:21:48 AM »
So i narrowed down the exact shielding to be related to system file shield (sorry if i already said this)

However, after turning on and off almost every aspect of the shield, it seems to do nothing to alleviate the problem!

The only thing that seems to work is turning off the entire file system shield, and i don't necessarily want to do that. I have already messaged discord about the issue, but is there any way to temporarily add Discord as a exclusion? I tried various times, but nothing i do works at the moment

Thank you in advance c:

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 11:17:48 PM »
Hello,

I have similar issues with Discord which also seem to be caused by the file system shield of Avast. Just like the thread OP, those issues only occur after a while.
In my case, notifications will display immediately, but sound is delayed by one or two seconds, and Discord consumes one entire CPU core before the notification sound is heard.
Same CPU usage issues if I disable or enable microphone or speakers on Discord.
And if I close Discord and reopen it when those problems occur, startup is much longer and CPU usage is much higher.
As of yet, no solution besides disabling the file system shield (or the whole antivirus).
Restarting the system solves the issue only temporarily. Reinstalling or repairing did not solve the issue.
It seems to be a conflict between how Discord interacts with the sound interface and Avast, though it may also be due to a conflict with a sound-related system file.

Here my configuration:
Genuine Windows 10 version 1703 (Creators Update) x64
Intel Core i7 4710HQ w/ Intel HD 4600
GTX 850M
16GB RAM
Using Windows' firewall
No additional protection installed. Windows Defender fully disabled.