Author Topic: Virus scanning freeze  (Read 9437 times)

greenhatch

Re: Virus scanning freeze
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2006, 10:06:26 PM »
I have 480 ram, Charley, but  anyway, I did the last two virus scans on the 'old' instal without any programs, sites or messengers on....still froze. I've scanned the once with the new instal, that completed ok.

greenhatch ... how much ram does your computer have? You may be using up your computer resources by scanning, keeping too many "things" running, and surfing.

greenhatch

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 03:46:11 PM »
Igor or Vlk
The scan of my Avast Home 4 froze yet again, this time, on the new instal. I was scanning on standard, on drive C, no net connection. I am running Ewido and Windows Defender. I have therefore uninstalled Avast again and installed for a third time! Is there any reason you can think of why the virus scan should keep freezing? Is Avast compatible with Ewido and Windows Defender?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 04:39:46 PM by greenhatch »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 04:05:21 PM »
The scan of my Avast Home 4 froze yet again, this time, on the new instal. I was scanning on standard, on drive C, no net connection. I am running Ewido and Windows Defender. I have therefore uninstalled Avast again and installed for a third time! Is there any reason you can think of why the virus scan should keep freezing?
Can go to the program settings and turn on the creation of the report file (with "OK files" to be included as well in the report). This way, you can find out where the scan really stopped (it's going to be close to the end of the report).

After avast! disappears, check the end of the report file - the "troublesome" file is likely to be close to the end (close in the sense that this particular file will probably not be written in the report, but the previous one will be the last line, so it shouldn't be hard to guess). We would certainly like to have this file - if it really causes problems to avast! - so that we could fix the problem.

The report file created (if you turned it on in program settings) will be (default location) at <avast4>\Data\Report\Simple User Interface.txt

Is Avast compatible with Ewido and WD?
With ewido, no trouble.
What is WD?  ???
The best things in life are free.

greenhatch

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 04:40:30 PM »
Tech thanks. What you're saying is it might be a bug or fault? Even if it is the third new instal? (And Windows Defender is WD of course).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 04:42:55 PM by greenhatch »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2006, 05:48:39 PM »
What you're saying is it might be a bug or fault?
Maybe a fault in that precisely file.
Maybe a bug (or problem) into avast.
If we know more about the 'last' scanned file... maybe we can do more research about the problem.

Windows Defender is WD of course
Oh... not used (yet) to that letters.
No conflict with avast.
The best things in life are free.

greenhatch

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2006, 06:38:00 PM »
Ok Tech. I've enabled 'reports' and will post next time I get scan freeze (if I do).