Author Topic: unable to uninstall from windows 2003  (Read 3734 times)

guy

unable to uninstall from windows 2003
« on: January 08, 2004, 03:56:29 PM »
Hi,

I'm using Avast Antivirus for some time now and I am (was) really satisfied with it.
Until I upgraded my system to windows 2003.
I could install Avast Antivirus without any problem, even updating was no problem.
But a few days ago, after an automatic update it detected that it was running on a server os and refused any further operation.

Ok, I can understand a server OS is not considered as a home OS (not that I completely agree with it, but that's not the point here), so I decide to remove Avast from my OS.

But: I cannot uninstall it ! Of course not, it's windows 2003 and that's not supported !

My question: can someone tell me how I can remove avast from my windows 2003 system please ?
Or just telling me what files/registry settings have to be removed to get rid of Avast would help me.

thanx in advance

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:unable to uninstall from windows 2003
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 04:00:23 PM »
Just download and run avClear4.exe from this page: http://www.avast.com/i_idt_1336.html

Vlk
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 04:00:35 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

guy

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004, 04:04:14 PM »
that was fast. And it worked  ;)

thanx !

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2004, 11:19:42 PM »
guy, I'm curious: you are not the first in this forum telling that use Windows 2003 Server in your home... Could you tell us what are the advantages/disavantages of doing so instead of 2000 or XP?

Thanks.  8)
The best things in life are free.

guy

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2004, 08:38:38 AM »
Well, the reason for me is just that I need a server OS (yes, at home that is)

The reason for this is that my personal pc belongs to the company I work for.
This means I have the machine for my personal needs (I have another one for development)
, but from time to time I have to install software on my personal machine for testing purposes etc.
And it's that software that needs a server OS

Apart from that, I think 2003 is a really stable OS, very good performance, largely compatible with windows XP (all xp drivers should work on 2003), ... really a nice OS - even for a home pc  :D