Author Topic: MicroSoft Internet Explorer & Advast  (Read 8033 times)

lowmion

MicroSoft Internet Explorer & Advast
« on: December 16, 2003, 11:33:57 PM »
Hi fellow peoples of the world ,

I am using 98lite as an operating system, it has the needed dll's to run all those programs that are tied into microsoft, namely the dll's needed from I.Explorer,

However Advast 4.1 Professional demo, which i downloaded, is looking for I.E.  and refuses to run,

SO what *.dll file does advast need from ie for it to run?

I use opera as a browser, and have no other virus programs on the hard drive or in the mbr (master boot record), and the vrdb data base updates itself without any hassles or errors.

Please email/post me with any idea's, (and no I'll not be comprimising my system with Microsoft's I.E, as now it purrs and Mr Gates isn't auto updated anymore), and I like many other's will be in your debt.

Yours Lowmion

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:MicroSoft Internet Explorer & Advast
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2003, 01:32:30 AM »
However Advast 4.1 Professional demo, which i downloaded, is looking for I.E.  and refuses to run, SO what *.dll file does advast need from ie for it to run?

I'm surprised you need to have IE in your system to run avast!
What I know you have ODBC drivers from Microsoft to run the VRDB (probably installed with MDAC - Microsoft Data Access Components).

What is the avast behavior? What are the error messages?
The best things in life are free.

lowmion

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2003, 03:23:31 AM »
Hiya thanx for the response,

when i installed from the setupengpro.exe in a pop-up box it stated that avast needed I.E and to go to www.microsoft.com etc to download a copy.

it then asked if i wanted to continue with the install and allowed it.

the email wizard was done etc and the icon's on Desktop and in task bar in place, except that the On access control icon has a red x on it.

When taskbar advast icon right clicked :-

-> and on access protection selected;
then any of the 6 options started,
a pop up box appears with a menu title of 'The requested resident task was not found'
dialog box - operation not completed.
click ok

->and start advast antivirus selected;

-pop-up box appears - unknown error,
storage could not be created for the "splash" task.
click ok

configuration is not loaded properly.
Error dbsCreateObject
click ok

program cannot save parameter's to the storage!
Error dbsCreateObject
click ok

configuration is not loaded properly.
Error dbsCreateObject
click ok

The log veiwer and iA VS and VRDB updating works
The Set/Change password works
And all the functions inside the VRDB icon work, including VRDB generation.

I've used the avast cleaner,
deleted setupengpro.exe, (including mbr reference to it etc), and re-downloaded the setupengpro.exe onto pc from website in case of file fragmentation etc.
then re-installed with EXACTLY the same results.

Next i reformatted and /fdisk mbr etc and repartioned to different sizes, used new copy of  operating system and reloaded from orig cd's all programs.
i know it's overkill but i had to know.
then redownloaded advast setup.exe etc and EXACTLy the same result,
and the trouble is that advast seem's to be the BEST antivirus prog and detecter I've yet come across that will OBEY the instructions of the user, but try b4 you buy and I'm trying.
Thanx for your help
Lowmion :)

lowmion

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2003, 03:52:28 AM »
ps, the operating system 98lite is based on win98se
but copies these files from win95a:
 EXPLORER.EXE, SHELL32.DLL, COMDLG32.DLL ,

I've included the release manual for 98lite which explains the Hows and Whys more clearly, which may be of assistance to you.

Thanx
Lowmion :)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2003, 09:39:35 AM »
Well, from the errors, mostly concerning "storage" and "dbs", I would guess that the problem may be related to the database drivers (as Technical said) - you may try to get them from www.microsoft.com/data - but I'm not sure if it'll help. You may also try to change the database type: open Data\avast4.ini file and in the section [Common], change Database=ODBC to Database=XML - but again, I'm not sure if it'll have any (positive) effect.

I suppose that without IE (or with an older version than required), you'd have problems with the Enhanced User Interface, with the iNews and probably with the helps. The other basic operation may work, but...

Btw, I don't know 98lite (heard of it years ago, but never checked it) - but I don't think it's a good idea to use a system library (which shell32.dll certainly is) from a different version of the OS - I'd bet it can cause troubles.

As for the original question - I don't think it's as easy as copying a few DLLs to the system. I don't know what exactly is avast! using, but it won't be explorer.exe directly; I'd rather expect some "registerable" libraries like mshtml.dll, shdocvw.dll or similar - and I think a simple copying those files from a newer system won't work, cause they'll be dependent on some other files and setttings... but I may be wrong of course.

lowmion

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2003, 10:47:11 AM »
thnx for your advice,

The benefit to installing the 95 series Shell on Windows
98** is you take advantage of Windows 98**  more advanced memory management, multi-tasking, and multi-threading, with a more stable faster Shell.

This totally disintegrates the Windows Desktop Interface from the Internet and/or Internet Explorer, that is to say Internet Explorer runs as a Separate Application, just like Netscape or Opera.

The most distinctive feature that separates the 98** series Explorer shell from the 95** Explorer Shell is the Taskbar/Toolbar integration.

Other features are the newer (and more resource hungry)Mouse Over or Flat Style Toolbars, and extra integrated file display options.  

Sorry for sounding like a sales rep, it's not intended at all.

So the question is does advast rely upon the MS HTML rendering engine (SHDOCVW.DLL + MSHTML.DLL) ?

And if so is there another way? as i really dont want to put them back in and slow down my o/s.

Lowmion

dorfun

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2003, 11:51:23 AM »
I think you have same problem as me, and i solve it with this

http://www.avast.com/i_kat_81.html#idt_1406

in the avast's faq

i use the option xml, before odbd.

sorry for my english, i am spanish ;-D

budgerugby

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2004, 06:52:39 AM »
I have EXACTLY the same problem.  I actually had Avast working fine.   After installing ADSL, Avast was not updating virus definitions.  I couldn't figure out why and decided to reinstall.  Once I had removed it, I realised that it may be due to blocks in the firewall; it was.  So I installed again and now have exactly the same issue you describe here.

No matter what I do, I am unable to rectify.  Will keep tracking this forum to see if someone comes up with an answer.