Author Topic: System file shields issues?  (Read 3868 times)

REDACTED

System file shields issues?
« on: May 04, 2017, 04:19:42 PM »
So it appears that system file shields are causing issues over a wide variety of apps and programs to fail or suffer issues.

So far it's affected Overwatch, Discord, Opera, World of Warcraft, and others.

I made this thread so we can have not only a list of things that don't work, but a single area to be informed if the issue is fixed or not, rather than go to separate threads.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: System file shields issues?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 04:25:51 PM »
Not a single problem with Opera and Discord.
I don't have/use the other two.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 04:39:15 PM »
Eddy various other users have reported issues with the file shields. I myself have purged and reinstalled discord and still have issues

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 07:16:47 PM »
Heads up everyone reading this! Avast just put out a new virus and definitions update that fixed my discord issue! Download the latest definitions and see if it fixes whatever issues you may have.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 10:55:14 AM »
Thanks, Akitori, for the hint.

I also had problems with the new release (17.4.2294).

First, after the first reboot after updating via GUI from the previous version (17.3.2291) the GUI was laggy and Windows (w7) a bit, too. So, I rebooted again and everything seemed fine. So I, unfortunately, deleted the offline installer of the previous version.

Second, one day later (May 4th) I noticed that the framerate was on average only 33% of normal values. Reading about others experiencing problems with games and such I uninstalled avast to check. Normal uninstall ("Programs and Features") didn't do the trick, I had to use avastclear (in windows safe mode) to get normal framerates back.
A re-install of v17.4 showed me that it in fact was a problem with the new version because the framerates "dropped" again by about 66%.

So, I used avastclear again and installed v12.3 (the latest offline installer I had apart from v17.3) and everything was fine.

Today, I read your hint, opted for the update nagging of the v12.3 GUI and it really seems that this problem got fixed.

So, thanks again for the hint!

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 08:29:22 PM »
So with Virus Definitions 2 they fixed the issue!....

However they just rolled out virus definitions 4 and the issue returned with it ._. I hope i'm not the only one having this issue.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 08:42:28 AM »
Unfortunately, you're right!

So, maybe, they didn't really fix the problem in the first place but inadvertently did something that "luckily solved" the problem and when they fixed that "bug" the original bug came back to life...

Anyway, right now, only disabling file system shield works as a workaround. Adding the program's folder as an exeption does not work, probably because the program uses some system file (that's not in the exempted program's folder). But, as adding c:\Windows\* and other folders, including some specific files to the exeption list doesn't help either, it seems to be a more systematic/systemic problem.

I really hope they get that annoying bug fixed soon - and for good this time!

Note:
The bug is still there with vps 170506-0 that just came out.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 11:07:20 AM by a-user »

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 11:04:24 AM »
This fixed the problems that came with v17.4 for me:

Temporary fix for issues reported in Avast 17.4.2294
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=201955.0

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 01:29:55 PM »
after updating my avast to 17.4 my laptop also facing the same issues, in my case it's with wallpaper engine. whenever I open wallpaper engine or it's setting via task bar it will take about a minute or more to open. I thought it was a problem with something else, but then when after I rollback the avast to 17.3 the problem is gone so I thought it was my laptop that maybe hate the 17.4 so I decided to try it on my desktop but the problem is also occurred even though my desktop's specs are beast enough to play any games on high quality setting at 4K but still facing slow program loading so please fix it so I can keep my avast up to date :(

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 03:47:25 PM »
The issues with the File Shield will be fixed in the next VPS update.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 04:49:04 PM »

I can attest that this new FILE SYSTEM SHIELD caused havoc over the weekend for us players of DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS ONLINE. Also known as DDO.

It caused unplayable lag and video stuttering for many of us users. It wasn't until yesterday that myself and a few other players through sheer trial and error discovered the FILE SYSTEM SHIELD was wholly to blame.

You may wish to contact Standing Stone Games and the other vendors and offer apologies for lost capital and some very confused and upset customers who went to bed on Saturday with working games and apps and woke up Sunday to chaos.

Thank you for your due diligence in this matter.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 11:46:31 PM »
For now the vps update from today (170509-4) seems to have fixed the problem. Let's hope it's not just temporary as before.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 11:47:25 PM »
For now the vps update from today (17-05-09-4) seems to have fixed the problem. Let's hope it's not just temporary as before.

This was a permanent fix for the File Shield issues.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •