Author Topic: I don't know if this is the right place but....  (Read 5832 times)

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
Re: I don't know if this is the right place but....
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 06:49:34 PM »
*Joins in the taking shots*.

No problems with the "computer-illiteracy". I know for a fact, you're by far not the worst. My grandmother is pretty bad! (Has problems remembering anything technological past checking Social Media/Facebook).

If you do get into Safe Mode, see if you can run FRST.

VOLUNTEER

Senior Security Analyst; Sys Admin (Linux); Forensics/Incident Response.

Security is a mindset, not an application. Think BEFORE you click.

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2017, 06:59:32 PM »
Update:
I decided to try a regular reboot first, just to see if it accepted the password. No issues logging in, which is where I used to get the first error message. No issues opening task manager. No issues running Malwarebytes. Can run FRST. Currently running Malwarebytes just in case.

This might, maybe, just maybe have been one of those times where the Machine Spirits where just frowning at me and a regular old "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" actually would work. In my defense, when you can't run anti-malware programs and can't bring up the task manager, getting worried is probably an understandable reaction.

I hope this is just a case of me wasting your time for a non-issue. Will report back once malwarebytes is done scanning.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2017, 07:25:11 PM »
I suggest you run the scan ans attach the logs anyway.
A check will not hurt ;)

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2017, 07:59:31 PM »
Malwarebytes noted 0 threats and FRST's logs are attached. I think I'm good, or should I also run the rootkit scanner?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2017, 08:10:10 PM »
There is a lot that need to be fixed.

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2017, 08:25:51 PM »
Running the rootkit scanner now, what else do you recommend I do?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2017, 08:46:23 PM »
Wait till  one of the listed malware removers guide you.

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2017, 06:01:12 AM »
Start CryptoPrevent and change it to NONE for the Protection.  Once this is done, reboot your system and then uninstall CryptoPrevent.  You should then download the latest version from here and install it later.

How is your system running now?
Win7 x32 Ult. SP1, Brain 2.0 / Win10 x64, Brain2.5
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE

REDACTED

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2017, 06:09:11 PM »
Changed it to NONE, rebooted, uninstalled it (kept the settings as it asked if I was going to re-install it), will download and install the latest version shortly. Maybe a dumb question, but could I not have just updated the existing CryptoPrevent? Given that they list this in their FAQ:
After update it is then necessary to re-apply the protection to your system. It is not necessary to undo the previous protection in place before doing this, or even to uninstall the app before updating. If you have an older version of the app before the update functionality was introduced, simply download and install the latest version, then re-apply protection.

My system is running fine ever since I did the initial reboot three days ago. No issues* running any programs, most notably no issues running any of the shields (Avast, Malwarebytes, etc). Did full scans with both Avast and Malwarebytes, no issues. Attached the FRST's logs earlier. Will run Spybot S&D just for good measure. At this point I am thinking it's just a computer-weirdness for not having been properly rebooted for a while. Hopefully I wasted your time for a non-issue

*The only computer issues I am having now is a harmless one, namely getting Knights of the Old Republic to not hate me if I tab out of it while I'm playing.