Author Topic: Question re: Offline PCs  (Read 1989 times)

REDACTED

Question re: Offline PCs
« on: May 05, 2017, 07:39:38 PM »
Hey guys, using the Business Free version on our client machines at our small business and it is really great, and has helped reduce our infection rates significantly over SCEP.  Only issue I find with Avast over SCEP is the need for a constant Internet connection or the client and console freak out and seemingly lose their connection over time, forcing a reinstall and reactivation.

We have some of our business sites that restrict Internet access via a login prompt on the Sonicwall gateway that must be entered before WAN access is alllowed.  My question is two-fold:

1) How long does it take before the clients become disconnected from your account, and need to be repaired/reinstalled to work again properly?  It seems kinda random from my experience so far.
2) Is there a way to setup a mirror internal to our network (like how SCEP pulls from your WSUS if it can't access Microsoft's servers to download virus defs) to avoid this issue entirely?  Since this is cloud based, I'm doubting that, but it would be nice if that was possible.

Thanks in advance!

REDACTED

Re: Question re: Offline PCs
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 07:03:29 AM »
Based on what you have described, I can't see why you would have to keep reinstalling just because the internet is unavailable.  I can have a PC off for weeks and the console will complain it's been offline for 30+ days but have never had to reinstall.  Sounds like something else is going on.

It sounds to me like maybe offsite cloud management is not the best solution for your environment and you might want to investigate onsite host solution for management.  AfB cloud is mostly geared toward Managed Service customers or SMBs with no onsite IT admin.