Author Topic: Temporary fix for issues reported in Avast 17.4.2294  (Read 9017 times)

REDACTED

Temporary fix for issues reported in Avast 17.4.2294
« on: May 07, 2017, 09:49:53 AM »
Avast should pay me

Then, fire your support staff, your engineer, and the team who's responsible for this disaster!

I deal with lots of support stuff like these as well, and you know, the stupid HAVE YOU RESTARTED YOUR PC? DID YOU PERFORM A REPAIR? never works, it never does, so guys, mods, stop with this BS and do some real world test and find the fix before spewing your nonsense by-the-book replies here, ok?

What a disaster they have created and the recent reports along with my own case links back to the same issue. I first discovered it when IDM was horribly slow, and the drama that went with it yada yada similar to what others have been reporting.

Idk if i'm the first ever to discover it, by chance and trial/error/randomly clicking things, i found a fix to the current issues reported for slowdown.

Originaly posted:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=201729.msg1391933#msg1391933

Here's what you need to do. Settings > Troubleshooting > Enable both of these highlighted > Restart PC

Edit:

As pointed out, this "fix" was caused by the effect of a reboot, and during that time (roughly 5 minutes), your programs will launch as normal. The idea behind is avast hasn't kicked in fully and once the system is all loaded (despite avast being loaded first) the programs will slowdown.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 02:05:23 AM by avast-user-01 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Temporary fix for issues reported in Avast 17.4.2294
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 09:57:39 AM »
the stupid HAVE YOU RESTARTED YOUR PC? DID YOU PERFORM A REPAIR? never works
You can't be more wrong.
It does work many times.

If enabling them is solving things for you it doesn't mean it will do so for others.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 10:04:14 AM »
the stupid HAVE YOU RESTARTED YOUR PC? DID YOU PERFORM A REPAIR? never works
You can't be more wrong.
It does work many times.

If enabling them is solving things for you it doesn't mean it will do so for others.

Oh, you wanna bet?  :)

I've seen you around, even though i just recently joined the forum and all you did was just telling people to repair the program. HAH. Sorry to break your bubble, but it has never worked. Sure, when something is stuck, the easiest way out is to restart the PC, the router, etc. But when the issue is caused by an update that is pushed, that is entirely out of a user's control, so no, a restart, repair, re-install to the latest version, and reinstall the entire OS, will not work. I'm gonna throw in 1 million dollars if it ever does. And so far, none of the people who have done it, including me, ever got to fix this recent issue caused by the update. NONE.

Sidetrack a little, it's like every single time i called up my ISP support, and the first thing they ask, have you ... and the first thing i told them, "stop what you're trying to say, i know, and i've already done it, so now, listen to my report, and pass it to your technician". Otherwise, there's no end to their robot troubleshooting which doesn't fix the issue caused by their problem, not my problem.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 10:07:33 AM by avast-user-01 »

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 11:03:06 AM »
I've seen your original post and tried it. Now, that I wanted to report, I saw your new, separate thread on this, so I reply here.

Thanks!!! for your info. It worked for me.

I was always wondering what that "new" sub-option ("nested virtualisation") of the hardware-assisted virtualisation was doing. I had the main hardware-assisted virtualisation option enabled for as long as it existed. I'm not sure if the sub-feature came with the first v17 version, but it was definitely there with the previous one (v17.3.2291) (and it was always - I repeat always - disabled ("by default"*) since it appeared in the software on my system). But because of the "reboot required" note I was always to lazy to try it. And it would have been no difference to be seen anyway - in previous versions.

The sub-feature (which is not mentioned or explained in the contextual help), if enabled, does fix the (additional) problems I had with v17.4. The VirtualBox GUI not starting problem was fixed right away, i.e. no reboot needed. The "reduced framerate problem" was only gone after reboot - most probably because the service (or whatever) that causes / caused that problem was already running (I'd guess a service that is started at windows boot).

But, as the sub-feature was there before and never caused any problems if not enabled, I wonder: were previous versions not implementing it correctly or is this new need for enabling it a bug? But if it's the first, why is there no apparent mention of it in the changelog (which are not too informative/explanatory anyway).

*I've never really did a clean install. I did uninstall and re-install but the first thing I do after re-install is importing my settings because I really really don't like redo all the settings (I have done over the years) manually - and I couldn't remember all the exeptions and settings anyway. So, that might be the reason why the "nested virtualisation" never was enabled on my system.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 12:25:30 PM by a-user »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 11:06:46 AM »
You already have lost that bet.
The option you told is enabled by default, so why would people enable it?
You seem to be just another wanabee support guy.
People like you are giving real techs a bad name.

I've seen you around, even though i just recently joined the forum and all you did was just telling people to repair the program.
Time for you to look better.
I (and others) have helped 10.000's (likely even more) of people and not just with telling them to perform a "repair".

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 11:58:38 AM »
You already have lost that bet.
The option you told is enabled by default, so why would people enable it?
You seem to be just another wanabee support guy.
People like you are giving real techs a bad name.

I've seen you around, even though i just recently joined the forum and all you did was just telling people to repair the program.
Time for you to look better.
I (and others) have helped 10.000's (likely even more) of people and not just with telling them to perform a "repair".

Good for you. But you missed the point of the bet. It was regarding this particular issue, and no, the option was not enabled by default, read, and re-read again what he just said, "enabling it was what fixed it for me". Not only have you lost the bet, you had the cheeky idea of reversing the bet on me but alas, you failed.

Did you take the time and effort off, actually tried to look into what was reported and preproduce it? Nope. You just did basic troubleshooting, and it was all based on knowledge on common things reported. This is a unique case, only caused by the update, so your basic method will not work. Am i a genius? No, but i'm a user desperate for a solution, contrary to you, who never had any of these apps installed, and never faced such specific issues.

If you had virtualbox, IDM, overwatch, and opera installed, you will face at least the same issue, but since you either didnt have any of these, then you're not qualified to give advice.

It's like going to the doctor and every single patient has his own unique issue, and the doctor first thing ask, did you drink enough water? Out of 1 million, 1 thousand will have this issue, how can 1 million of them get prescribed the same thing? That makes the doctor sound really ridiculous.

Gonna take my leave for now. Enjoy telling your new batch of 10.000 to repair their installation. I'm sure youre a big help  ;)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 12:11:00 PM by avast-user-01 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 01:26:55 PM »
It was regarding this particular issue
And ?
As I said, what is working for one user might not work for another.
Did you take the time and effort off, actually tried to look into what was reported and preproduce it? Nope
Again you are wrong.
If you had virtualbox, IDM, overwatch, and opera installed, you will face at least the same issue, but since you either didnt have any of these, then you're not qualified to give advice.
And you are wrong again.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 01:42:18 PM »
It was regarding this particular issue
And ?
As I said, what is working for one user might not work for another.
Did you take the time and effort off, actually tried to look into what was reported and preproduce it? Nope
Again you are wrong.
And you are wrong again.

Good for you. I'm the Mr wrong guy here, who have managed to help a few, others have reported in other threads it has worked for them, while you have helped zero regarding this particular issue.

I'm sorry for being the MR wrong guy here. But then again, why are we arguing anyway. You should at least be more negative towards avast here, (instead of pretending to help with your general support), who have done nothing for days to fix this while it took me 1 day to find a temporary fix that could have helped half of it's affected userbase.

Until now, no public announcement has been made, look at the number of reports, and the number of viewcount on those threads ! No matter how much of a fanboy you are, you can't be totally ignorant.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 01:46:05 PM by avast-user-01 »

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 01:51:25 PM »
@avast-user-01,

This was enabled by default on my pc running win 10 with Creators Upgrade.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 02:07:59 PM »
@avast-user-01,

This was enabled by default on my pc running win 10 with Creators Upgrade.

It seems depending on system avast will either enable it or disable it by default. And i seen other people reported it was enabled and it didn't work (because it's enabled and they didn't touch it). Since my PC worked (problem was temp solved) after i enable it, i did a test to disable the nested option, rebooted, and guess what? No slowdown !

How strange. So for anyone who has already enabled it, my theory is something needs to be done on the troubleshoot option that requires a reboot, so disable the nested option if it's enabled and reboot.

Edit:

Looks like i spoke too soon. After a while, the issue came back. So for those with the option ticked, you're probably out of luck. You can disable and then re-enable it again, but i doubt it will help.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 04:06:32 PM by avast-user-01 »

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 04:38:24 PM »
I feel like you should apologize to Eddy now.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 04:44:36 PM »
I feel like you should apologize to Eddy now.

Who are you? And why should i? And who is he? He got everything wrong and still made me the Mr wrong guy, and idk who you are just jumped in and asked me to aplogize to him? Hmmmm, welcome to the internet eh?

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2017, 04:49:43 PM »
I say you should because your fix didn't exactly last very long mind you.

Eddy is one of the users on the channel, and while he isn't the most informative at times, he was correct in that your method wouldn't work with everyone.

Also of note, your attitude towards the community is rather hostile, considering many of us are trying to find solutions to the issues, while you're just being condescending and attempting to make yourself correct overall.

Granted, it's a bit annoying that Avast has issues each update, but what's slightly worse is those users who only join/create accounts to openly harass users or the program itself, rather than leave constructive feedback :)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2017, 04:51:59 PM »
A temporary fix would also be not playing Overwatch.

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2017, 04:54:37 PM »
I say you should because your fix didn't exactly last very long mind you.

Eddy is one of the users on the channel, and while he isn't the most informative at times, he was correct in that your method wouldn't work with everyone.

Also of note, your attitude towards the community is rather hostile, considering many of us are trying to find solutions to the issues, while you're just being condescending and attempting to make yourself correct overall.

Granted, it's a bit annoying that Avast has issues each update, but what's slightly worse is those users who only join/create accounts to openly harass users or the program itself, rather than leave constructive feedback :)

Not only is there no one from Avast jumping in to try and find a fix, we have a bunch of fanbois here who are are ignorant about the entire situation, and let avast do whatever they want and still we stuck onto them. Sorry to break it to you Mr i dont know who you are, but plenty of users are going to uninstall this and look elsewhere, me included.

Just look at what others are replying. Oh and btw, my attitude towards the community, what did i do? Nothing. Did i harass them? No, i'm just stating the facts, only old members got a little salty. Those who registered just this week are looking for a quick solution, and i managed to help some of them, did you?