Author Topic: Avast w/Outlook Exp & Hotmail? How??  (Read 6890 times)

WinMEHell

Avast w/Outlook Exp & Hotmail? How??
« on: December 17, 2003, 01:09:57 AM »
Hi,

I'm using Avast Pro 4.1.304  and I use Outlook Express 6.0 to get my email from my Hotmail accounts, but can't get Avast to scan my emails!!

I ran the Mail Protection wizard with Outlook Exp shut down as told... then I booted up Outlook after the wizard ran and see NO DIFFERENCE!

There is supposed to be an "icon added to the tray" when Avast scans email and I've never seen one, which is one more reason why I believe that Email protection isn't configured properly.

Can anyone help me set up email protect  for my Hotmail accounts via Outlook Express?

(I posted about this 2 weeks ago, but didn't get enough  info to help me).

BTW: I don't know what the STMP, POP or whatever is. Where can I find that info??

Thank you in advance. :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Avast w/Outlook Exp & Hotmail? How??
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2003, 01:36:46 AM »
Hi,

I'm using Avast Pro 4.1.304  and I use Outlook Express 6.0 to get my email from my Hotmail accounts, but can't get Avast to scan my emails!!

I ran the Mail Protection wizard with Outlook Exp shut down as told... then I booted up Outlook after the wizard ran and see NO DIFFERENCE!

There is supposed to be an "icon added to the tray" when Avast scans email and I've never seen one, which is one more reason why I believe that Email protection isn't configured properly.

Can anyone help me set up email protect  for my Hotmail accounts via Outlook Express?

(I posted about this 2 weeks ago, but didn't get enough  info to help me).

BTW: I don't know what the STMP, POP or whatever is. Where can I find that info??

Thank you in advance. :)

I do not use Hotmail. Some days ago I tried to help another avast user with no success on this kind of thread (I do not remember if were you...). Do you find any window with configurations of your account. Could you describe them?

Anyway:
SMTP: Simple mail transfer protocol. Is the language for sending emails (Outbound messages)
POP: Post office protocol. Is the language for receiving emails (Inbound messages).
The best things in life are free.

Culpeper

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2003, 06:22:29 AM »
I'm not to familar with this also but it seems the last Netscape user in the world is having a similar problem with his IMAP Netscape email account.  Would running the email wizard and selecting all future accounts be fruitless?  How about the manual install instructions in the help files?

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2003, 10:15:03 AM »
Avast cannot protect Hotmail accounts, because Hotmail doesn't use POP and SMTP protocols.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2003, 11:31:14 AM »
Avast cannot protect Hotmail accounts, because Hotmail doesn't use POP and SMTP protocols.

Any other posibility to hold it? By Standard Shield and/or Script Blocker?
How do the other av protect Hotmail?  :'(
The best things in life are free.

Lito

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2003, 01:26:23 PM »
You can download your Hotmail messages through Hotmail Popper, that will transform your Hotmail account into a normal POP3 account ;)

I'm doing that and avast! can check those messages 8)

Cheers and sorry for my english.

John-

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2003, 10:03:38 PM »
Hotmail accounts on webmail are auto)scanned with Mcafee I think.
But i have noticed they are not that effective,... :(

Dunno, I do not use the webmail that often.  I am using Outlook express and I put all my hotmail-accounts on "exclusive"-mode.
I used to block all domains with virus-attachements.
But blocking domains like @dksjfqkqsjdfk.net are useless

my POP3 accounts are scanned by Avast! and viruscan from my provider on their emailservers.