Author Topic: Comodo firewall configuration  (Read 61030 times)

johnny223

Comodo firewall configuration
« on: March 30, 2006, 02:16:59 AM »
does anyone know how to configure comodo personal firewall so that it works best with BT programs?

i used to have zonealarm and it worked well with Bitcomet with basic configuration, but for comodo, eventhough i allowed Bitcomet for all the connections, downloading is very slow.  Help much appreciated.

Windows xp, comodo personal firewall, avast personal

thank you
 :)

justin1278

Re: Comodo firewall configuration
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 02:37:23 AM »
Hi,

What version of Comodo do you have? The latest is 2.0.0.0

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 02:47:18 AM »
A firewall either permits or blocks a connection. It doesn't contol the speed of a conection.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

johnny223

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 02:49:31 AM »
i have the latest version of comodo, 2.0.0.0, and bitcomet 0.62

but with zonealarm, i had much faster download speed using bitcomet, i was thinking maybe comodo is limiting the number of connnections, thus causing the speed to slow down

justin1278

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 02:56:34 AM »
Bob,

I have had a firewall slow down my connection.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 02:58:43 AM »
A firewall either permits or blocks a connection. It doesn't contol the speed of a conection.
Some of them, like Comodo, if I'm not wrong, you can set the maximum number of connections of each application so, control the speed.
Other application that does this (shareware) is NetLimiter.
The 'slowing' down of the connection could do to the firewall work itself, processing the traffic, but nothing that much that you can fell. The worse part of a firewall, for me, is if it takes that much resources (RAM and CPU).
The best things in life are free.

johnny223

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 03:20:08 AM »
thank you guys for the replies, that was fast. ;D

but is there anyone using comodo firewall, who can advise me to tweak some settings in it that might help with the download speed?  i'm not having any problems with other applications

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 03:32:46 AM »
thank you guys for the replies, that was fast. ;D
Be used to avast forum speed  ;D

but is there anyone using comodo firewall, who can advise me to tweak some settings in it that might help with the download speed?  i'm not having any problems with other applications
Is it configured to allow all download connections? I mean, probably into the settings of Comodo for your browser?
Do you mean the speed is smaller than compared with other firewalls?

timcan

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 03:33:23 AM »
I'm not using comodo right now and haven't seen ver 2, but the older version in the advanced settings had a box to check for the firewall to do checksums of files which would slow things a bit. Hope this helps.

johnny223

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 05:25:01 AM »
what i mean is that, when i had zonealarm firewall, it works perfectly with Bitcomet(BT program),
now that i switched to comodo firewall, downloading files became much slower in Bitcomet.

are there any settings right here that might affect BT downloading speed?

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 05:24:14 PM »
Hello. Installed and tested Comodo PF today and I can say - not bad program, functional, easy to use, but some pop up windows needs to have some knowledge what components is launched for. eg by Firefox (like macromedia plugins from Windows directory). After all, it works good, but for hell knows what reason my startup took ages, so back to ZA, as my system works stable with it.

I had no problems with torrents using Comodo.  ;) Everything was allowed without restrictions.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 10:57:21 PM by =YLAP= »

Staind

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 12:02:08 AM »
Hi,

This was the reason I stopped using comodo - it seems to have problems just freely allowing torrent programs connections.  When downloading torrents with it I would disable it and enable Windows firewall, but this got to be a nuisance so eventually I simply uninstalled it.  I never found a solution to the problem, sorry.

johnny223

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2006, 01:35:17 AM »
Hi,

This was the reason I stopped using comodo - it seems to have problems just freely allowing torrent programs connections.  When downloading torrents with it I would disable it and enable Windows firewall, but this got to be a nuisance so eventually I simply uninstalled it.  I never found a solution to the problem, sorry.

thanks, i'm glad to hear someone else is having the same problem i do, so for that reason, i'll just switch to another firewall that works well with Bitcomet.

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE COMMENTS ;D ;D ;D

AVAST ROCKS

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2006, 03:23:39 AM »
I tried comodo 2.0 & found it to be resource hungry.  Also, Google Web Accelerator wouldn't work with it.  I allowed all application alerts from comodo for GWA & rechecked all settings in comodo for GWA, but Google Web Accelerator wouldn't work.  Google Web Accelerator did work in comodo 1.xxx.   With the downloads of both versions of comodo I got Trust Toolbar.  I ran Pest Patrol to remove Trust Toolbar. 

Jetico Personal Firewall works great on my desk top & uses few resources, but JPF doesn't work on my lap top.  I don't understand, both use XP SP2.

I returned to ZA Free on my laptop.  ZA is "Old Reliable", it works great with no problems & uses moderate resources.  When JPF 2 comes out I will try it on my laptop. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2006, 03:45:25 AM »
ZA is "Old Reliable", it works great with no problems & uses moderate resources.
Well, with a local proxy application, Kerio does not start it service... first attempt is an error and then, after some seconds the icon disappear from the system tray, although the firewall is running...
Comodo brought me so strange GUI problems... maybe I just use non-standard fonts size... strange...
I've tested Jetico too... I've tryed Sygate...

The old ZA is on it's way... unbelivable.
The best firewall I've used was Outpost Pro (BEFORE they add the antispyware features that turn it into a bloatware).