Author Topic: strange problem concerning mail.google.com  (Read 5358 times)

user33

strange problem concerning mail.google.com
« on: March 30, 2006, 10:11:02 AM »
As I figured out recently, I am not able to upload attachments in my gmail account as long as avast is running.
uploading attachments via webmail to my other email accounts on the other hand works fine.

I tried several things like stopping/pausing some providers, but it only works when avast is completely shut down.

Is there a chance to edit the settings in a way, that it is possible to upload attachments to  gmail, while avast is running?

Thank you for your answers.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: strange problem concerning mail.google.com
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 10:36:57 AM »
Is this an issue with any attachments or just with large(ish) attachments.

Have you tried increasing the Internet connection timeout (Internet Mail provider > advanced tab > Internet connection timeout box)?

What kind of connection do you have dialup, broadband ... what upload speed?

Oh and by the way ... for your google mail account what is the SMTP port you have set for the account?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 10:51:01 AM by alanrf »

user33

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 04:56:47 PM »
Since I am not using any mailprogramms, I didn`t activate the Internet Mail provider.
I`m using google mail via webmail.
Thats also why I didn`t change any of those smtp ports...

And yes, you`re right,  it seems to happen only with attachments bigger than one MB.

There are only three providers running on my machine: Network Shield, Web Shield and Standard resident protection.

As I mentioned before, uploading attachments to other webmail accounts works fine for me. So I guess, it does not depend on my upload speed, (which would be about 12kb/s)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 03:29:30 AM »
I`m using google mail via webmail.
Which browser are you using?

Is there any information on the mail scanner log? <avast>\data\log\aswMaiSv.log
Most probably not  ::)
The best things in life are free.

user33

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 09:34:08 AM »
Well, thank you for your kind help!  :)

I`m using Windows XP Professional.
Browser: Firefox.

As you pointed out, it might be the browser.

I tried to upload an attachment with the three mentioned providers running with Firefox 1.5.0.1 and then with IE 6.0

Firefox didn`t work.
IE managed to upload a largeish attachment, when Standard resident protection was deactivated.
Otherwise, that is while the other three providers were running, Google Mail brought up an error message saying "Ops, couldn`t do that" or something similar.

And there is no spectacular information on the mail scanner log, as far as I can judge that. Only five or six lines.

Shall I send you a Google Mail invitation, so you may can reproduce that error?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 01:42:54 PM »
As you pointed out, it might be the browser.
I tried to upload an attachment with the three mentioned providers running with Firefox 1.5.0.1 and then with IE 6.0
Firefox didn`t work.
IE managed to upload a largeish attachment, when Standard resident protection was deactivated.
I use GMail with Outlook Express or Thunderbird without problems. I don't like webmail that much.
I can upload and download email with large attachments being scanned by avast.
I'm not being able to figure out what's happening in your case... I'm thinking...

Shall I send you a Google Mail invitation, so you may can reproduce that error?
No need, I have my GMail already, thanks  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 02:16:00 PM »
If as I believe the GMail browser viewing of your email is done vis an https: connection, secure connections aren't monitored by avast! How do you compile (prepare) the GMail that you are going to send, on-line in your browser or using something else ?

If the attachments and email itself are sent using https: then avast's web shield shouldn't become involved and I can't see why standard shield would have any cause to scan it either. The attachment would already have been a file on your system, so it isn't a newly created file (?), it isn't being Modified (?) or opened (?).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

user33

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 10:17:02 PM »
Concerning the https vote, that might be true, but it still doesn`t work  ;D

On the FAQ site of googlemail, they say that there could be problems with antivirus software products, because of the site`s scripts. And they also say that they are working on it. So, I hope that they do so...

So I want to thank you anyways for your kind help  :D, and I`ll deactivat avast while uploading attachments at google`s, which is not really such a big thing to do.

Keep up the good work!
regards
user33

CharleyO

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 10:38:17 PM »

Instead of deactivating Avast, why not just Pause the provider(s) that may be causing the problem during uploads?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2006, 01:36:36 AM »
Concerning the https vote, that might be true, but it still doesn`t work
Can you answer my questions, so we can get an idea how you send your email, this will give us an idea of what may be scanning it and perhaps why it still doesn't work, but without your help we won't know.

If it is all done via https traffic than avast doesn't get involved so there has to be something else in the mix. What is your firewall ?

The only time a script is likely to cause a problem with avast is if it is detected as a virus or suspect and you will get an alarm, avast doesn't block, is scans traffic and alerts as appropriate.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2006, 04:54:12 AM »
David,

I have just sent a few large attachments (6-7Mb jpg files) to myself on Hotmail from my GMail account (mail.google.com) - also known (I believe only in the UK) as Google Mail and via the Web interface.  Just like Tech I cannot make it fail in the uploading of these attachments.  I would not bother reporting this duplicate information but the one thing I did notice is that all the traffic was http and (as far as I could see) https was not used at all. 

I run with Standard Shield, Web Shield and Internet Mail provider all running at normal sensitivity level. 

Just as an additional check I tried the Web Shield at high sensitivity.  Still no problem.  I also added the Network shield to the mix ... and ... still no problem.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 10:37:00 AM by alanrf »

user33

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2006, 10:54:10 AM »
Can you answer my questions

I can second alanrf`s post; it seems to me that only login and logout from Gmail a using a https protocol. At least, when you`re are logged in at Gmail, the url is not colored yellow, which would mean (in firefox language) that the is used a secure line during the webmail session.

How do you compile (prepare) the GMail that you are going to send, on-line in your browser or using something else ?
As I pointed out earlier, I do only use the webmail interface of google mail. That means I do that online and in my browser firefox.

The attachment would already have been a file on your system, so it isn't a newly created file (?), it isn't being Modified (?) or opened (?).
As I tried it several times with different files, I can tell you that neither of the three options you listed could have caused the problem.

What is your firewall ?
My software firewall is Sygate Personal Firewall, and then I have a Router with integrated firewall from Siemens`Gigaset product line.

I deactivated the software firewall to find out whether it works without it, but it still doesn`t.

Maybe I just need to reboot  ;D ...

user33

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 11:28:54 AM »
After the reboot, I tried it again and now it seems, it`s web shield that`s causing the problem.

Standard Shield an Network Shield are running and it works. Turning Web Shield on and it doesn`t.

I made some Screenshots of the traffic History of Sygate PF to show you what`s happening:

Without Webshield it works (Continuous upload rate):

When Webshield is activated, the upload curve turns crazy and finally stops:

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2006, 04:10:31 PM »
Thanks for that Alan, so much for GMail's famed security.

Based on Tech's and your tests working without a hitch I too am at a loss as to what may be the cause.

I know that here used to be an issue with Sygate's localhost loopback being unable to identify the program/browser using the localhost proxy, in this case web shield and having to disable the transparent proxy and manually set each browser to use the proxy. I wonder if this may have any impact ???
How to disable transparent web shield proxy and allow only those browsers you want use it:

In avast! go to Web Shield provider, Customize..., Basic tab, blank the redirected HTTP port field (remove the 80). Now no browser can use web shield unless you manually configure it to use Web Shield.
However, this seems very unlikely.