Author Topic: Connection Time out Error  (Read 2479 times)

makua

Connection Time out Error
« on: March 30, 2006, 01:36:34 AM »
HELP ME PLEASE!!

I have started to recieve ALOT of popups stating:  Internet Connection Time  out elapsed  mm5.exe 7 mta.v21 mail.yahoo.com. While running ad aware-I also received a message that a trojan was detected and  I moved it to the chest. What do I do now?  Do I just leave it there or is their something else I need to do now example delete it??? Since then, I am also no longer to send any emails.  The email sites both yahoo and hotmail wont open.  I am using Windows XP. 

I have no idea what to do...Any help would GREATLY be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Connection Time out Error
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 03:01:57 AM »
You can increase both your avast! timeout: Internet Mail provider > Customize > Advanced (tab)
and your email account timeout (generally, right click the email account, choose properties and the Advanced tab of settings).
See pictures here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=17460.msg148474#msg148474

But better will be knowing if you have any infection in your computer.
Did you run avast at boot time?
Did you run a-squared and ewido to get clean?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Connection Time out Error
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 04:59:03 PM »
It would appear that you have some form of spambot on your system, especially if you weren't using your email program.
What is your email program ?
What is your firewall ?

A google search for mm5.exe returns many hits, do you happen to be using market maker as that is one of the hits although I can't see why that would be using and email port http://www.marketmaker.co.uk/aus/index.asp.

First block internet access for mm5.exe with your firewall whilst you investigate/resolve this. XP's firewall can't do this as it doesn't provide outbound protection.

You don't give any details of the trojan detection this helps us to help you.
- What was the virus name, what was the file name, where was it found
  example (C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx)?

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it, preferably in safe mode.
1. Ad-Aware
2. Spybot Search and Destroy
3. Spywareblaster Don't install this until you are clean.
4. Ewido Security Suite

When you are scanning with AdAware or any other security based program it is best to pause the Standard Shield as that program could open a signature file and avast would scan that and may detect a virus signature not a virus and alert. Pausing standard shield avoids possible conflict with the other scanner, avoids duplication of scanning and will speed the original scan up.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security