Other > Viruses and worms

Avast resident shield disabled

(1/3) > >>

DaveH:
My Avast resident sheild is disabled and I can't seem to get it enabled.

I suspect one of the websites ActiveX plugins is the culprit.

Can anybody advise how I can get the thing going again. I can't seem to do any scan with it.

Keeps reporting an internal error.

thks

CharleyO:

Welcome to the forums, DaveH.    :)

What error is reported? Do you have text or error number?

What is the OS of your computer?

DavidR:

--- Quote ---I suspect one of the websites ActiveX plugins is the culprit.
--- End quote ---
One way to avoid activeX is to use a browser that doesn't have it, firefox, opera. If you must use IE then ensure you aren't logged on and running it as a user with administrator privileges (assumes XP OS).

Whilst browsing or collecting email, etc. if you get infected then the malware by default inherits the same permissions that you have for your user account. So if the user account has administrator rights, the malware has administrator rights and can reap havoc. With limited rights the malware can't put files in the system folders, create registry entries, etc. This greatly reduces the potential harm that can be done by an undetected or first day virus, etc.

Check out the link to DropMyRights (in my signature below) - Browsing the Web and Reading E-mail Safely as an Administrator. This obviously applies to those NT based OSes that have administrator settings, winNT, win2k, winXP.

--- Quote --- I can't seem to do any scan with it.
--- End quote ---
Can you expand on this, missing systray icons, processes not running, etc. what ?

--- Quote ---Keeps reporting an internal error.
--- End quote ---
What is the error message ?

DaveH:
Sorry,

A false alarm from me, it wasn't any ActiveX applet but it was a botched update (File version:613) that caused it.

The 613 update was downloaded a couple of days ago seems OK and installed fine.

Somehow it corrupted the avast engine and I could get avast to scan anything. Some internal error message was quoted, can't recalled the number quoted.

I had to reinstall avast with the update I had downloaded before 613 to get avast up and running again.

Was there a problem with 613?

rgds

DavidR:
Not that I'm aware of, you would see it on the forums if it were a general issue.

You should be able to see what errors/information is logged in the avast Log Viewer.

Glad that you have it sorted now, welcome to the forums.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version