Author Topic: Problem message - email returned  (Read 2807 times)

BudR

Problem message - email returned
« on: March 29, 2006, 08:04:09 PM »
When I try to attach emails that I have received from an internet merchant to a message addressed back to them, the message is instantly returned with the following:  "A problem was found in an Email message you sent.  This Email scanner intercepted it and stopped the entire message reaching its destination.  The problem was reported to be: Disallowed double-barrelled attachment filename (order yhst-[order number] from 1800emart.com.eml) - potential virus.  Please contact your IT support personnel with any queries regarding this policy."
This has happened before with a different merchant so it is not the recipient kicking it back.  My ISP doesn't know why this is happening so I don't know what virus scanner is objecting to it.   Is it Avast?

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Problem message - email returned
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 10:53:22 AM »
This message is not generated by avast mail scanner.

It seems that the original message had subject "order ... from 1800emart.com" and when you replied, you added the original message as attachment and it was named "order ... from 1800emart.com.eml" by your mail program, which really looks like suspicious double extension.

You can look into message headers to trace the path of the returned mail (you will see one or several entries saying "Received: from ... by ...").
But it will probably not help you, you'd better avoid the suspicious attachment name.

CharleyO

Re: Problem message - email returned
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 08:20:57 PM »

Welcome to the forums, BudR.    :)

As Igor mentions above, the return path should be the indication of what email scanner rejected the email. Well, the actual scanner may not be mentioned (sometimes it is mentioned) but the rejecter of the email should be. Whatever email scanner they are using would be what is rejecting your email.

Can you not simply reply to the email instead of adding it as an attachment to a new message? In normal email programs, a reply usually includes (or can be set to include) the original email message at the bottom of the reply message you are sending back. If you need to add extra information that you had rather not (or can not) type (or cut & paste) into the reply, can you not add this extra info as an attachment? This should not give the type of warnings you are recieving.