Author Topic: What's with the useless messages?  (Read 1502 times)

REDACTED

What's with the useless messages?
« on: May 12, 2017, 07:05:21 PM »
Every so often I started getting useless messages from Avast like

Your browser may pose a privacy risk
 or
your browser uses an unreputable plugin

followed by a green Resolve button.

What are you going to resolve if I'm not even told about what the problem is.  What represents a privacy risk, which one is the unreputable plugin.

They are useless messages that just tick me off every time I get them.  Make them useful or stop bothering me with them or let me exclude the plugin in question if I don't care what you think and want to keep it.

On a side note, what's with the constant pushing of Chrome.  I hate Chrome and will never install it.  Stop asking already.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: What's with the useless messages?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 07:25:14 PM »
You can see in the log files what is detected.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: What's with the useless messages?
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 07:34:16 PM »
The Resolve All button is pretty poor as it doesn't accurately describe what will happen.  I believe it should be 'View/Show Details' as that is what I believe it is actually doing if you click the Resolve All button.

No one wants to click a button like this blind without knowing the Action it will take and if they can selectively ignore/take action on individual issues. Who could blame anyone who doesn't want to click this button.

Presumably you have the Browser Clean UP installed as I believe this is the source of the messages. I look after my own browser security/cleanup so I never install this avast component. So it doesn't get scanned during a Smart Scan so no such messages.

I don't like chrome either, but it is a rather rare occasion I see any push for chrome. I think that you get more of these in a period after installing avast. With over 400 million users, avast isn't going to selectively stop pushing to individuals.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security