Author Topic: World hacker attack in progress  (Read 15896 times)

Offline vianello_85

• from Italy
World hacker attack in progress
« on: May 12, 2017, 08:30:07 PM »
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/nhs-cyber-attack-hospitals-hack-england-emergency-patients-divert-shut-down-a7732816.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/12/world/europe/uk-national-health-service-cyberattack.html

And more news

Be careful to open mail (ramsoware attack), and make sure you have the updated pc.
They take advantage of an old security breeze windows

I opened this 3d given the severity of the situation, are talking about the Italian news

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
Re: World hacker attack in progress
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 09:53:10 PM »
Hospital computers across Britain shut down by cyberattack, hackers demanding ransom

https://www.rt.com/uk/388115-nhs-hospitals-cyber-attack/

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 10:24:50 PM »
It probably doesn't help that the UK NHS is still using XP I believe, they paid a large sum to Micro$oft to provide further support. Certainly doctors surgeries or outpatient departments that I have seen recently were still using it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 10:48:29 PM »
It probably doesn't help that the UK NHS is still using XP I believe, they paid a large sum to Micro$oft to provide further support. Certainly doctors surgeries or outpatient departments that I have seen recently were still using it.

I'm also certain that the further support for XP expired in May 2015.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 11:20:37 PM »

I'm also certain that the further support for XP expired in May 2015.

I don't have the exact dates, but given what I have seen they are still using XP and I would imaging they would still be paying through the nose for support.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 11:27:34 PM »
Only system that don't have this fix can become victim of the attacks
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/ms17-010.aspx

Latest status is that over 45.000 attacks have taken place spread out over 74 countries.
Most attacks where against Russian companies/institutions.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 12:06:06 AM »
so the question is....  does a paid version of Avast find it?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 12:20:52 AM »
Paid or free doesn't matter they are using the same detection methods.

https://www.avast.com/virus-update-history

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 12:42:06 AM »
The thing that I don't get it is that why don't they install newer version of Windows Operating System. I understand that some or most of their programs that they use may or may not work on new windows OS. Their IT department should make compatibility as quickly as possible. Even here (NZ) whenever i go places like banks,shops, university, hospitals they all moved to Windows 10 why can't those affected countries can't move to new windows OS  :o
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

Offline bingvarstand

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 12:55:56 AM »
Are we safe now that Avast is up to date?

How does this thing spread?

Is is dangerous to be online now?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 01:05:33 AM »
It is always dangerous to be online.
On a average day 1 million new threats are emerging.

All Windows versions that are not patched are vulnerable.
There is no patch for XP, only for Vista and newer.

Offline bingvarstand

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 01:07:03 AM »
Will avast stop the attack?

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2017, 01:16:29 AM »
@bingvarstand: Use common sense

a) Make sure you have the latest Windows OS System and make sure it's fully up-to-date via Windows Update.
b) Make sure you have the latest version of Avast.
c) Only download programs software from official website.
d) Make sure all your other browsers (google chrome, Firefox, internet explorer are up-to-date) and other program such as java, flash player, adobe reader. Including your graphics drivers. Including your other programs that you use i.e. other editing program such as AutoCAD and etc are fully up-to-date.
e) Install a second anti malware scanner such as MalwareBytes.
f) Don't click on links/ads that is too good to be true that appear in the browser. Install AdBlock Plus to block these annoying messages.
g) Don't click on links/attachment in emails from unknown senders. If a friend or a company sends a attachment or links that you are not sure about contact them to make sure.
h) Install Unchecky so whenever you install a program it won't install potential unwanted software/program along with the program you want to install, because at present when you want to install a program, it also installs other programs that is not necessary.
i) Scan your whole computer once every week by Avast and MalwareBytes.
j) Don't install other optimizer/system registry/ etc because they will cause more harm in your computer.
k) Make sure you install patches/updates/bug fixes/etc that is delivered through your machine manufacturer i.e. HP, DELL, and etc. They use HP Support Assistant and DELL Support Assist to transfer these updates to your computer.
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2017, 01:16:46 AM »
See reply #7

Offline bingvarstand

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2017, 01:18:22 AM »
@bingvarstand: Use common sense

a) Make sure you have the latest Windows OS System and make sure it's fully up-to-date via Windows Update.
b) Make sure you have the latest version of Avast.
c) Only download programs software from official website.
d) Make sure all your other browsers (google chrome, Firefox, internet explorer are up-to-date) and other program such as java, flash player, adobe reader. Including your graphics drivers. Including your other programs that you use i.e. other editing program such as AutoCAD and etc are fully up-to-date.
e) Install a second anti malware scanner such as MalwareBytes.
f) Don't click on links/ads that is too good to be true that appear in the browser. Install AdBlock Plus to block these annoying messages.
g) Don't click on links/attachment in emails from unknown senders. If a friend or a company sends a attachment or links that you are not sure about contact them to make sure.
h) Install Unchecky so whenever you install a program it won't install potential unwanted software/program along with the program you want to install, because at present when you want to install a program, it also installs other programs that is not necessary.
i) Scan your whole computer once every week by Avast and MalwareBytes.
j) Don't install other optimizer/system registry/ etc because they will cause more harm in your computer.
k) Make sure you install patches/updates/bug fixes/etc that is delivered through your machine manufacturer i.e. HP, DELL, and etc. They use HP Support Assistant and DELL Support Assist to transfer these updates to your computer.

Great advice, thanks.

See reply #7

It says so on the list so yes?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 01:20:11 AM by bingvarstand »