Author Topic: Avast "nuking" c:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\System Update\uncserver.exe  (Read 5345 times)

Offline 03bluecoupe

I have a Lenovo T530 running Windows 10 - up to date and running Avast Free - 17.4.2294 (build 17.4.3482.9)  Virus Def: 170516-2

I have Lenovo System Update 5 (latest level - 5.07.0045).  Avast keeps quarantining/blocking 
c:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\System Update\uncserver.exe

I uninstalled System Update 5 and reinstalled - same issue.   

Should I just add c:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\System Update\uncserver.exe to the exclusion list?

MAN, these verification letters are HORRIBLE to try and see!!

Offline 03bluecoupe

Forgive my "duh-ness" but I went to the link and put the issue in the description but it will not allow me to submit it without a file attachment?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Ofcourse it will not let you submit it without a file.
How do you expect avast to check things if they don't have a file to check ?

Offline 03bluecoupe

so I just send 'em c:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\System Update\uncserver.exe  ?   It doesn't exist  UNCServer.exe does.... won't work, but it's there

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
What's a detection name? I'm suspecting it's PUP...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline 03bluecoupe

"What's a detection name?"    Huh?  You wure you put that on the right thread?  Nothing about detection names here that I know of.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
"What's a detection name?"    Huh?  You wure you put that on the right thread?  Nothing about detection names here that I know of.
When avast detect something it will give a malware name depending on malware type ... eksample: Win32:WanaCry-A [Trj]

Offline 03bluecoupe

No logs of anything that I can find. Just a popup message that it was a threat and being blocked. Uninstalled Lenovo System Update 5 and reinstalled - same thing but no logs that I can find to check. I looked in the virus chest - nothing relevant.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
The malware name given will be on the avast pop up, also if file is moved to chest the name should be displayed there

Offline 03bluecoupe

I'll uninstall and reinstall again and pay very close attn. I'll see if I can snap an image of the popup - nothing in the chest about it though.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
I'll uninstall and reinstall again and pay very close attn. I'll see if I can snap an image of the popup - nothing in the chest about it though.
If you right click avast tray icon, you can select show last popup. There is a pin in the popup top right corner, click it an pin it to screen
This only work if you have not rebooted after the popup