Author Topic: Gaming Mode - High Performance  (Read 8418 times)

REDACTED

Gaming Mode - High Performance
« on: May 13, 2017, 07:01:01 PM »
In the course of troubleshooting why my computer was failing to go to sleep I found that:
(i) When a game was launched, Avast changed my power profile to high performance.
(ii) When the game ended, Avast failed to change my profile back.

This is troubling in several respects:
(1) Why is Avast, by default, changing power profiles? It's nice to not get interrupted by notifications but I never asked Avast (or anyone program) to change my power profile. I have the settings the way I like them.
(2) Why is this turned on by default?
(3) Why doesn't it even work properly? (Why doesn't it change the profile back?)

While I personally had to waste several hours troubleshooting why my computer failed to go to sleep because of this grand "feature", that is just a terrible annoyance and inconvenience. At least one user has claimed the change did damage to his/her hardware. See here: https://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/81665-power-plan-automatically-changing-game-launch.html#post1021483. This is unacceptable!

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Gaming Mode - High Performance
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 07:18:11 PM »
Power settings changes can be turned off in Game Mode settings.  Uncheck "Trigger high performance".
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 07:22:51 PM »
The claim of that user is false.
Setting a system to optimal performance doesn't do damage to hardware.
A system can handle the higher temperatures.
If they get too high, it is a problem with the cooling not installed software.
I wonder how old his system is as nowadays systems shut down when the temperatures gets too high.
It would not surprise me if his CPU broke down (short circuiting) and caused the problem.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 07:27:24 PM »
Actually, avast! changes setting back after you exit the game. However, if the system crashes, it'll remain in High Performance mode. I've experienced that several times when testing overclocks.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 07:39:13 PM »
Power settings changes can be turned off in Game Mode settings.  Uncheck "Trigger high performance".

I'm aware of this. It shouldn't be on by default.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 07:41:36 PM »
Actually, avast! changes setting back after you exit the game. However, if the system crashes, it'll remain in High Performance mode. I've experienced that several times when testing overclocks.
While I'm no gamer, that's good to know anyway. Thanks RejZoR.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 07:46:14 PM »
I wonder how old his system is as nowadays systems shut down when the temperatures gets too high.
It would not surprise me if his CPU broke down (short circuiting) and caused the problem.

His CPU, as stated in the thread, was an FX processor. AMD added the temperature shutoff mechanisms well before that. If I were to speculate, he had it at a really high OC that really couldn't be sustained for longer periods of time which setting to High performance ending up screwing up. Something with the cooler may have been at play.

Either way, this shouldn't be a default setting. Leave power settings alone thanks.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 07:49:22 PM »

I tested it when I first investigated it and did not find that result. I'll quick do a retest now.

It appears to work now. It did not work before.

When I first posted the thread (mentioned in the OP) on the other forum, I had the control panel power options screen up on the other monitor. Launching the game switched to high performance. Exiting the game saw no reversal. That seems to have now been fixed.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 08:01:37 PM »

You are wrong on all counts.

My H80i Corsair Liquid Cooler did in fact fuse to my AMD FX 8150 Cpu because of Avast's manipulation of my Power Mode without giving me any notification that any such feature was installed, or that such a feature was turned on by default without giving me ANY notification. It modified a VITAL part of my system settings, and left it in a dangerous state, i cant even imagine how many laptops will melt under these conditions.

AVAST is an Anti-Virus and as such cannot possibly understand each user's individual setup, CPU limitations and cooling needs.

My CPU was FORCED by Avasts secret changes to rev up to a prolongued high temperature because it was, by Avast, told to constantly rev at 100% minimum Processing rate, ALL DAY, EVERY DAY, for an entire month!

I finally discovered that it was Avast that was the culprit having found Monitorless's topic and started observing as Avast WAS switching my Power Modes (if i changed it back to Balanced, Avast would just switch it to High Performance again and again) when i gave no such expressed permission for it to do so....but it's too late now, my H80i and AMD processor have fused together and the damage is unrepairable. I'm over $300 down in damages and none of this was my fault. Avast shouldnt even be messing with the CPU rates.

I do not Overclock, everything is at stock levels.  NO processor should EVER be told to stick at 100% on end for long periods of time, especially by software tampering with what it doesnt understand.

Edit: To add to my frustration, 2 things:
1. You added this to Game Mode and turned it on with no notification to the user; you are damaging peoples hardware as we speak.
2. Even the description of your Game Mode currently does not mention that it will alter the systems Power Mode in any way! It only mentions changing Process Priorities.

This is wrong, very very wrong.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 08:22:10 PM by 2ndvenus »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 08:20:11 PM »
No, you are the one that is wrong.

Running a system a 100% does not make it overheat unless there is a problem with the cooling.
Could be dust, bad airflow, broken fan etc.
Running software never is causing a system to overheat unless it is e.g. software that is over clocking things and avast is not doing so.
If software would do so, Microsoft would have gotten millions of claims from people who set it to "optimal performance".

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 08:27:02 PM »
Games fluctuate the processor between 0-100% they do NOT forcefully hold the CPU to the pinnacle of 100% for an infinite amount of time. This will eventually damage anybodies hardware.

Your company defending post is sickening when you bring opinionative bickering to a case where by fact an Antivirus just burnt out somebodies CPU/Cooler.

I demand answers, and you dont have any so move along.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 08:30:28 PM by 2ndvenus »

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 09:46:28 PM »
As a side note, I'm not convinced performance mode adds any value to gaming (or anything for that matter). The way CPU usage goes up and down seems to handle things well. To test this I ran Cinebench R15 multicore. Here were the results (average of 3 trials):

My Profile: 913.7
Balanced: 912.3
Performance: 914.7

With such a small sample size, I doubt the differences are statistically significant (although I did notice an article suggesting the new Ryzen's see a performance difference). In any case, I'm not convinced there's any value to this "feature". Someone at Avast wasted time programming it, it adds no value and even if 2ndvenus is mistaken about his hardware damage claims, it did result in higher electricity consumption. Because my CPU doesn't need to be at 100% right now because I don't need it to do anything (and while a couple cores are around 5%, the others are at 0% currently which is all fine by me).

As far as I can tell, the performance plan should just be removed from Windows. If one actually wants those settings, it's probably better just to turn off the power saving features in BIOS to begin with (which some do of course).

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2017, 09:51:17 PM »
CPU simply running at full speed clock isn't equal to CPU running at full speed clock and under heavy load. If it runs at full speed, it's not really consuming that much more power and neither it's deteriorating any faster (at least not of any significance).
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2017, 10:46:43 PM »
2ndvenus,

after 35+ years working with computers I know a thing or two.
One of them is that running a system at 100% 24/7 does not damage the hardware at all.

I had a AMD Athlon XP 2000+ running at 125c while 90c is the maximum operating temperature according to AMD.
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Athlon%20XP%202000+%20-%20AXDA2000DUT3C.html
Problems started when it reached 130c and higher.
Reason why it got that hot... dust aka no proper cooling.

P1's (100 MHz) over clocked to 175 MHz and not a single problem.

Several of the systems I have had where running at 100% 24/7 for several years without a problem.
Only time they where not running at 100% was when a reboot was required due to a software update/change.

Your company defending post is sickening when you bring opinionative bickering to a case where by fact an Antivirus just burnt out somebodies CPU/Cooler.
I'm not defending avast at all.
Facts are :
- that for cooler to and CPU melt into each other a temperature of 1000c(!) (or more) is needed because of the melting temperature of the ceramic that is around the core of a CPU.
- in order to reach such temperature the cooling and/or system protection is failing

You added this to Game Mode and turned it on with no notification to the user; you are damaging peoples hardware as we speak.
avast did tell the gaming mode was added.
Ofcourse it was/is enabled.
It wouldn't/isn't making sense to add something and not enable it by default.
Software from avast doesn't damage peoples hardware.

As systems by default don't come with that cooler it would not surprise me that you made a mistake when mounting/installing it.

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2017, 10:56:37 PM »
Eddy iv done 24 years, i dont care about your opinion on computer hardware, leave.

I need to speak to a developer.

Peoples hardware is being put at risk, the program does not mention the tampering of Power Plans in any of it's component, the program shouldnt even be able to touch your CPU rates and this problem is made worse by the fact the the program did not inform us at all that Power Plans would be used, nor should it even be using them in the first place, it is dangerous to many, many users, and because of this, my hardware was damaged.

Those are the facts.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 10:58:52 PM by 2ndvenus »