Author Topic: Does Avast protect me from Wannacry?  (Read 35004 times)

Offline alicia.rose

Re: Does Avast protect me from Wannacry?
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2017, 03:26:37 PM »
Yes, it was EssexBoy DavidR back in 2014 :) .......on another site. Long time no see - where is he?

I got the all clear - no malware.

I have just installed the latest CryptoPrevent version......just wondered what thoughts on this are now that Avast has the Behaviour Shield in 2017.

Really Eddy......I thought Windows 10 was unaffected.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2017, 03:49:03 PM »
He has more commitments now that take up most of his time, he pops in to the forums from time to time.

Not knowing how CryptoPrevent goes about its work and up to a point Behaviour Shield. If they were using the same methods then there is a possibility they could clash. Personally I try to keep my system light and not spend more time servicing my system than it servicing my needs.

I do however have a robust backup and recovery strategy, taking exact image backups of my drives weekly.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2017, 03:55:02 PM »
Essexboy has quit this webboard.

Only Windows versions that where/are not vulnerable are Windows 98 and earlier.

And about your question (Do I still need to use CryptoPrevent as well?)
There is and never will be one tool that protects your system against all "badware".
So yes, you will need to use multiple to have the best protection as possible.

Although those tools can help to protect a system, the largest risk is always the user.
Security starts with what a user knows/does.

I see that over 99,9% of the users are using a account with administration rights for daily use.
If someone is using such a account for daily use the user might as well not install any protection software at all.
To say it simple, malware has the same rights on a system as the user account that is used.

Offline alicia.rose

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2017, 06:12:14 PM »
Thanks for your comments and help.

I am wondering about a clash too, but found this...

"There is NO Anti-Virus software on the market today that provides the same type of protection that CryptoPrevent provides, it works in an entirely different manner.

Since the two can co-exist on the same PC peacefully, and CryptoPrevent’s protections do not utilize any system resources, why not utilize both methods of protection?"

"I do however have a robust backup and recovery strategy, taking exact image backups of my drives weekly."

How do you do that DavidR?

I'm afraid I'm one of those 99.9% of users Eddy! :o Learnt something today....

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2017, 06:31:06 PM »
@Eddy,

"Bleeping computer is wrong.
15% of the infected systems was/is using Windows 10."

Which versions of Windows 10?

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 06:40:33 PM by -midnight »

Offline alicia.rose

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2017, 06:44:48 PM »
OFF TOPIC

Super image / quote you have -midnight! <3

From an astronomy lover

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2017, 07:15:51 PM »
Thanks for your comments and help.
<snip>

"I do however have a robust backup and recovery strategy, taking exact image backups of my drives weekly."

How do you do that DavidR?
<snip>

There are many image backup software options available, some free. They make an exact image of the Drive or Partition you want to copy to another hard drive preferably to an external hard drive. The one I use on my primary system (in my signature) is a paid option but very old and no longer sold. I do an image backup every week and keep the last six backup images. If I have a problem that is likely to take more than 30 minutes (longer than restoring a backup), then I use the image backup.

http://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-free-pc-backup-software and for later OSes you can use their own option https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-7/.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2017, 07:27:05 PM »
Bleeping computer is wrong.
15% of the infected systems was/is using Windows 10.
If wrong, BleepingComputer is not to blame as the report comes from Kaspersky

Numbers released by Kaspersky Lab on Friday reveal that over 98% of all documented WannaCry infections were running versions of the Windows 7 operating system.

Offline alicia.rose

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2017, 07:34:57 PM »
Thanks a lot for the useful info / link DavidR.

So I would need to get an external hard drive first....

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2017, 07:48:40 PM »
Thanks a lot for the useful info / link DavidR.

So I would need to get an external hard drive first....

You're welcome.

If you have a 2nd internal hard drive most would allow you to use that drive as the destination drive. The flaw in that is if all of your system went down, there is a possibility it could be effected too.

An external hard drive is preferable as you can disconnect it and secure it when it isn't in use. Get a USB3 external drive (if you have USB3 ports on your system) as USB3 has a higher data transfer rate and the USB3 connection provides power to the drive. So only one connection to be made.

Offline alicia.rose

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2017, 08:02:21 PM »
I see. I don't have a second internal hard drive. I have an old Dell computer (another reason to back up).......would need to look into this, can't go into too much detail here, as this is an Avast Forum / WannaCry topic. Appreciate your help DavidR. :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 08:03:52 PM by alicia.rose »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2017, 09:32:47 PM »
Get (free) only storage.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2017, 09:57:39 PM »
@Eddy,

Could you please answer my question.........#34?

Never mind.  I found the answer.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 11:51:32 PM by -midnight »

Offline stibi

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2017, 11:49:53 PM »
I see. I don't have a second internal hard drive.

So it's time to do something against hard- & software failures. I make backups AND create OS-images from time to time on
- 2. internal harddisk
- external harddisk - not connected to my PC
- my notebook as second available machine if something serious goes wrong.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2017, 11:54:54 PM »
Some years ago an Avast Überevangelist :) Malware Removal Expert advised me to install CryptoPrevent as well.

This I did and I've had it ever since on my computer.
<snip>

That sounds like essexboy, though it gould also be Andrey,pro, but like all security software it has to be up to date to get the full benefit/protection. Whilst I don't use CryptoPrevent, the latest version is 8.0.3.7 I believe dated  05/16/2017.

Depending on how long ago this advice was given, it could precede when the additional protection against ransomeware was included in avast.
Actually, latest version is 8.0.3.9, and, as of a few versions ago, now has Folder Watch, a new capability similar to RansomFree, in that bait files are placed in stratigic folders so as to notify you sooner rather than later that you are under attack.

Version 8.0.3.9 came in yesterday, so they're keeping up with what is going on.  Version .7 came in Tuesday just so you know.

[EDIT:] Additionally, Avast is seeing 4.55% of systems are Windows 10 affected by WannaCry.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 09:14:31 PM by mchain »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801