Author Topic: Auslogics Disk Defrag Download Blocked as Threat by Avast  (Read 10683 times)

Offline Wittmann

• Pegasus
  • Retired professional engineer BSc.Eng M.I.Mech.E
Auslogics Disk Defrag Download Blocked as Threat by Avast
« on: May 15, 2017, 01:05:47 PM »
I have used Auslogics for years with no trouble except for dozens of Pup's as found by MBAM.

In the past few days I have tried to download the latest version of Auslogics but Avast blocks the  download each time as a malware threat. I have  used all the most reputable download sites.

Please can  somebody adjust Avast NOT to regard Auslogics as a threat, it surely is an error in programming  definition and is a very recent  event.
UTRINQUE PARATUS
Windows 10 version 20H2 - Avast free AV - ZoneAlarm Firewall

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Auslogics Disk Defrag Download Blocked as Threat by Avast
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 01:12:04 PM »
I just checked and was able to download it without a problem from the official website.

Offline Wittmann

• Pegasus
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 01:17:24 PM »
I just checked and was able to download it without a problem from the official website.

Eddy - strange ?
I will do the same and  if I get blocked by Avast will send screenshot of alert.
UTRINQUE PARATUS

Offline Wittmann

• Pegasus
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 01:27:40 PM »
I tried to download from the Auslogics site and was again blocked. See screenshot.
UTRINQUE PARATUS

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 01:29:43 PM »
You can report a URL here: https://www.avast.com/report-a-url.php
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Wittmann

• Pegasus
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 01:58:29 PM »
You can report a URL here: https://www.avast.com/report-a-url.php

Who  and how  do I report it to ?
Eddy siad he downloaded Auslogics this morning OK, but I get blocked. Is Avast confused ?
UTRINQUE PARATUS

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 02:01:35 PM »
There was a (really strange) delay.
I downloaded the file, no problem.
I submitted the file to vt, no problem.
Only after doing so avast came up with a alert.

I have to guess here, but it could be the behavior shield submitted it to the lab and reported back later.

Offline Wittmann

• Pegasus
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 02:09:50 PM »
There was a (really strange) delay.
I downloaded the file, no problem.
I submitted the file to vt, no problem.
Only after doing so avast came up with a alert.

I have to guess here, but it could be the behavior shield submitted it to the lab and reported back later.

Thanks Eddy,
It sounds like something odd is going on. Are you able to help ?
UTRINQUE PARATUS

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 02:18:36 PM »
No, as most of us here are not working for avast there isn't much we can do in situations like this.
It is up to avast to analyze the file and change the detection or remove it (whatever is needed).

On a note.
Defrag really helped in the old days when FAT was used.
With NTFS and the Linux partition it is not needed anymore as files are stored/drives are read in another way.
Next to the change of the file system, there is also the speed increase in the hardware.
So unless you are still using the FAT system there is no need to defrag a drive anymore.
Unless you have a e.g. 250Tb drive that is almost full, you will not notice a speed increase after a defrag.

Offline Wittmann

• Pegasus
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 02:30:19 PM »
No, as most of us here are not working for avast there isn't much we can do in situations like this.
It is up to avast to analyze the file and change the detection or remove it (whatever is needed).

On a note.
Defrag really helped in the old days when FAT was used.
With NTFS and the Linux partition it is not needed anymore as files are stored/drives are read in another way.
Next to the change of the file system, there is also the speed increase in the hardware.
So unless you are still using the FAT system there is no need to defrag a drive anymore.
Unless you have a e.g. 250Tb drive that is almost full, you will not notice a speed increase after a defrag.
I don't know how to report this officially to Avast. I am still using XP so defragging is advisable.
The scan of that link on Virus Total looked a wreckage, Auslogics got a bad check with a number  of AV sites and "file not found" with a lot more.
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/1c8a86653671023789a536ceeef5ed78b5dec78796c29edaf7c4a8adfea41f5b/analysis/1494847399/
UTRINQUE PARATUS

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 02:35:59 PM »
I don't know how to report this officially to Avast.
See reply #5

The question is not if you have XP or not, but what file system you are using.

If you are using FAT(32), you can easily convert it to NTFS
https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/choosing_between_ntfs_fat_and_fat32.mspx?mfr=true

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 02:55:37 PM »
The problem is that the security threat industry has gone right over the top with anything Auslogics related and treats them as suspect and any software they provide as a PUP.

This comes on the back of an installer for one of their products which either accidentally or deliberately would install a 'system performance' booster and other unwanted (of course) adware/crapware even when that option was specifically deselected in the installer menu. So having UnChecky wouldn't have helped.

Since then warnings about this online and in PC magazines have escalated to the point where Auslogics are now treated with the greatest of suspicion. AV/AM software like AVAST, Malwarebytes, Spybot and I suspect others now flag up anything to do with them as a potential threat and I guess AVAST blocking downloads from their web site is part of this.

Here's the irony: this "malware" has been part of many Auslogics installers for years. I can find threads dating back years talking about the same thing and even mentioning that AVAST didn't flag it as a threat. I can confirm that as I was using a paid for Auslogics defragger for three years and AVAST never batted an eyelid.

But now it has been added to the security definitions lists and suddenly we're all being saved from this 'new' potential threat. Yay!

I could name a number of other free and even paid for software I know whose installers can contain just as pernicious PUPs which you're literally just one click away from when you use them. AVAST and other security software doesn't block them. 

What I would have liked to read is an explanation from Aulogics themselves as to whether this was a genuine mistake and if they've apologized and altered the installer so the PUP deselect option does work. If not they deserve everything heaped on their heads but I still believe that users should only be given warnings about such threats, not have downloads blocked.       

Offline Wittmann

• Pegasus
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 02:59:00 PM »
I don't know how to report this officially to Avast.
See reply #5

The question is not if you have XP or not, but what file system you are using.

If you are using FAT(32), you can easily convert it to NTFS
https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/choosing_between_ntfs_fat_and_fat32.mspx?mfr=true

Eddy, just another help please.
I checked my computer under "disk management" to see what my fil system is for Disc 20 C: It shows NTFS and a note system = healthy.
I cannot do better than that.
Any comments Eddy ?
UTRINQUE PARATUS

Offline Wittmann

• Pegasus
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2017, 03:08:31 PM »
@   Cluster-Lizard2014

That great description of the Auslogic saga over years is magnificent and confirms my own knowledge of this affair. A big thank you.

From what you say and what I know, if I want Auslogics, all I have to do is turn Avast OFF for 10 minutes while I download and install it. Which on the evidence so far, is what I will do.
Sounds like an imaginary malware storm in an empty malware tea cup.
UTRINQUE PARATUS