Author Topic: Installation Guidance needed  (Read 2205 times)

cabagekid

Installation Guidance needed
« on: April 01, 2006, 02:20:12 AM »
I downloaded the Free Avast Home SW and would like to install/try it over  the following AV SW  and then remove the Norton Works on my Win 98SE  1.5 Gig Amd, 512 Ram, etc.

I have Norton Sys Works 2005,  Spyware Blaster and Bazooka.  Norton has about
8--10 listings in MSCONFIG-Startup Menu......which ones do I UNCHECK to disable any Norton interference/conflict! I also have copied Nortons various removal instructions & will use that if all goes well.  And do I disable Spyware Blaster, too?

Thanx for the help! 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Installation Guidance needed
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 02:56:15 AM »
I will really suggest you uninstall all Norton SystemWorks. Boot. Install avast. Boot. Install Systemworks again WITHOUT Norton Antivirus.
Otherwise, you'll get problems and conflicts.
Disabling does not work in this case...

The last question, no, spyware blaster does not conflict with any other antivirus or antispyware  :)
The best things in life are free.

cabagekid

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 04:26:23 AM »
OK: Uninstall NSW 2005,   boot,   install Avast,  boot ,   install NSW w/o its AV....

Question 1: Why reinstall NSW w/o NAV?   If it's for the [old 2005 tools], do these helpful suite of   [other-than NAV]   tools require a high overhead?   [I kinda like
the Quick System Check, Registry tools, Cleansweep, Defrag and Drive Scan in an easy to use menu system........it's just their NAV that's a sleeping slug]

Question 2:  How do I remove any NAV quarantined files/folders?

Thanx Again,  CK

PS...I noticed in linking to the numerous/great selection of Wilders programs [in your LINKS section, that their links are dead.......in checking I found Wilders changed their site to WWW.WildersSecurity.net  >> which goes to >> WWW.JavaCoolSoftware.com....so maybe update those links? 

Also, there's sooo much great stuff/resources in the Links section that's almost beggin for an nice menu style, multiple page section for all the bro's [and sis's].....I'd volunteer and commit time to a project like that as part of an effort  to help in this very worthy effort and to add value to your efforts  [and to learn html  xml page layout etc in the process...I've never built my own page yet!]
Anytime.....CabageKid   

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 04:32:04 AM »
Why reinstall NSW w/o NAV? 
You've answered yourself:

These helpful suite of tools... Quick System Check, Registry tools, Cleansweep, Defrag and Drive Scan

Question 2:  How do I remove any NAV quarantined files/folders?
If I'm not wrong, Quarentine of NAV is a folder under Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\ folder...

PS...I noticed in linking to the numerous/great selection of Wilders programs [in your LINKS section, that their links are dead.......in checking I found Wilders changed their site to WWW.WildersSecurity.net  >> which goes to >> WWW.JavaCoolSoftware.com....so maybe update those links? 
I'm a litte embarassed because of this... I can't find time to make them better and check dead links...  :-[

Also, there's sooo much great stuff/resources in the Links section that's almost beggin for an nice menu style, multiple page section for all the bro's [and sis's].....I'd volunteer and commit time to a project like that as part of an effort  to help in this very worthy effort and to add value to your efforts  [and to learn html  xml page layout etc in the process...I've never built my own page yet!]
Well, if you can help... maybe just quoting the posts there and you'll see the code behind them... so, updating the links and we'll have the code corrected again... The avast users can thank you for that  ;)
The best things in life are free.