Author Topic: Newest avast affecting gaming performance  (Read 3800 times)

REDACTED

Newest avast affecting gaming performance
« on: May 18, 2017, 12:12:04 PM »
So I'm not sure when the update was that affected the gaming performance on my computer but it was between last Friday and this Tuesday (because I played fined last Thursday and slow this Tuesday).

The main thing is that I do a bit of multitasking while gaming with fullscreen windowed (voice, video recording, browsing, video watching, sometimes music), so before the problem started I was able to open most of these programs without any noticeable drop on frame rate on my game. After the problem started opening any program froze (or almost froze) my game for 1 or 2 seconds and 3 to 6 times for each program, using the programs didn't slow the game much but something felt slower.

I have an AMD FX 6300 CPU and my main game is not that greatly optimized (it only uses 2 CPUs at most), so I'm guessing the problem might be CPU related, but changing the affinity of my game to any cores didn't seem to help.

My system runs windows 7 64 bit, my main game uses 32 bit executables(swtor) but I got similar stutter on 64bit executable game (quake champions).

the latest version of avast installed today was 17.4.3482.0, free version with only these features installed: file shield, behaviour shield, web shield, mail shield, game mode (not sure about this last one as I don't remember installing it but since many weeks ago I got an avast popup of new games being added to a list when running them for the first time).

I really didn't expect avast to be the culprit as it has run smoothly for many years, but after cleaning, rebuilding, benchmarking and bios flashing my computer the only thing that fix my problem was to uninstall avast, so here I am, asking for your help.

Any recommendations to be able to have avast and still have a good performance like in the past (beginning of last week)? Thanks

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Newest avast affecting gaming performance
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 01:38:20 PM »
Hi, disable the behavior shield or set an exclusion.
Avast GUI -> Settings -> Components -> Behavior Shield
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 10:10:02 AM »
Hi, disable the behavior shield or set an exclusion.
Avast GUI -> Settings -> Components -> Behavior Shield

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, I ended up doing a settings/folders/registry cleanup and a new install reinstall, I guess my first avast install was so old that some settings were breaking things. My computer is running as fast as it should now.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 10:40:52 AM »
Sounds good, thanks for the feedback.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0