Author Topic: Every time I use smart scan my modem restart  (Read 11945 times)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Every time I use smart scan my modem restart
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 04:51:17 PM »
I don't see any reason to even think it could be malware.
Is suspect the ISP's firmware has something to do with it.

Does it reboot if you scan after resetting the router to factory default ?

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 07:43:30 PM »
Could you run a scan with Wi-Fi Inspector and see what happens?

I'll hazard a guess you router reboots. This isn't a malware issue.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2017, 12:24:47 AM »
I don't see any reason to even think it could be malware.
Is suspect the ISP's firmware has something to do with it.

Does it reboot if you scan after resetting the router to factory default ?

I reseted to factory defaults and tested, it still reboots.  :-\

Could you run a scan with Wi-Fi Inspector and see what happens?

I'll hazard a guess you router reboots. This isn't a malware issue.

I tried to use wifi inspector and my modem reset. Avast says there's no issue with the modem/pc tho. I guess it just occour when avast tries to acess my router?

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2017, 02:52:17 AM »
Would it help finding the problem trying to scan connected to a different nt wifi?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2017, 03:56:48 AM »
Very unlikely, as avast is scanning the router and not the WiFi connection.
Does it make a difference if you use a wire to connect and not WiFi ?

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2017, 02:43:44 PM »
Your router will continue to reboot while you run a Smart Scan/Wi-Fi inspector scan.

In order to solve this, you will need to remove the Wi-Fi Inspector component from Settings > Components.

In rare scenarios, when the WiFi Inspector looks for vulnerabilities and bruteforce attacks the router, some routers reboot. The only way to solve this is by removing the Wi-Fi inspector component for now.

In the future (rather later than sooner), Avast will add advanced options to the Wi-Fi Inspector where you can disable some parameters in order for the router not to reboot. It's important to remember that very few routers are affected.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2017, 01:06:21 AM »

Nope, it reboot the same way.

Your router will continue to reboot while you run a Smart Scan/Wi-Fi inspector scan.

In order to solve this, you will need to remove the Wi-Fi Inspector component from Settings > Components.

In rare scenarios, when the WiFi Inspector looks for vulnerabilities and bruteforce attacks the router, some routers reboot. The only way to solve this is by removing the Wi-Fi inspector component for now.

In the future (rather later than sooner), Avast will add advanced options to the Wi-Fi Inspector where you can disable some parameters in order for the router not to reboot. It's important to remember that very few routers are affected.

So there is no problem with the router/pc, it's just some routers that aren't "compatible" with the WiFi scan?
Thank you for your help guys, I'm glad avast didn't leave me alone and solved my problem.  :)

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2017, 02:37:11 AM »

So there is no problem with the router/pc, it's just some routers that aren't "compatible" with the WiFi scan?
Thank you for your help guys, I'm glad avast didn't leave me alone and solved my problem.  :)
Your problem is not solved yet, keep in touch to see when the fix is done.  Might be a bit or so before that happens.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

REDACTED

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2017, 02:12:25 AM »

Your problem is not solved yet, keep in touch to see when the fix is done.  Might be a bit or so before that happens.

Thank you! I will.

Offline Filip Braun

• Avast team
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2017, 11:08:32 AM »
Hello,

Thank you for reporting this issue.
For analysis we will need some logs.
First enable debug logging: GUI -> Settings -> General -> Maitenance -> Enable debug logging
Then reproduce the issue (Run Smart Scan).
Then create support package and submit it (guide here: https://www.avast.com/en-us/faq.php?article=AVKB33) and post the ID of the created package here, so we can find it.

Thank you,
Filip

REDACTED

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2017, 10:24:18 PM »
Hello,

Thank you for reporting this issue.
For analysis we will need some logs.
First enable debug logging: GUI -> Settings -> General -> Maitenance -> Enable debug logging
Then reproduce the issue (Run Smart Scan).
Then create support package and submit it (guide here: https://www.avast.com/en-us/faq.php?article=AVKB33) and post the ID of the created package here, so we can find it.

Thank you,
Filip

I enabled debug logging, then run smartscan and created a zip file with the support tool. Is that right? The id is 5LXUS

REDACTED

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2017, 10:52:46 PM »
It used to restart my modem when I had it on my phone, it drove ever body else nuts, I just told it not to scan for connection/modem security issues.

Offline Filip Braun

• Avast team
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2017, 11:25:58 AM »
Hello Luan28,

Thank you for the logs.
We will investigate the issue.

Filip

REDACTED

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2017, 01:43:03 AM »
Hello Luan28,

Thank you for the logs.
We will investigate the issue.

Filip

Okay, thanks.
When done will you post the result here or e-mail/pm?

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2017, 02:06:48 AM »
I'm certain they will report back.  Be patient.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801