Author Topic: possibly hacked? / no customer support  (Read 2680 times)

REDACTED

possibly hacked? / no customer support
« on: May 25, 2017, 01:18:58 AM »
Around 2am Saturday I was driving home with my phone sitting in the cup holder. When I got home and turned my phone's screen on, it was locked saying the SIM was untrusted. I put in my pin and it was fine. I figured maybe the SIM card got jiggled for a moment (which happened to me once) and didn't think anything of it. That afternoon I opened my phone's photo gallery and found 27 photos I hadn't taken. Most were just black, but a few are clearly from my phone while I was driving. They're in the avast folder on google drive. There's 2 audio files of music I had on in the car. Under notifications on the avast site, it also says my contacts, texts, and calls were exported a few times, and my position, and the SIM was changed a bunch of times. Is there anything this could be other than somebody screwing around in my account? Is there any way I can find out where all these commands were sent from and/or where everything was sent or exported to?

Anyway, I called avast to find out what to do. The tech support lady, after the very long process of her repeatedly telling me things that are false and advising things that are impossible, she told me to put in a ticket because she couldn't do anything. I just keep getting the auto response that they won't help because I am using the free software. The message says to respond if I need to explain but nobody seems to be reading what I send. I don't know what to do. I changed my password, but if there's some problem with my account or their site or the software or god knows what, I want to know about it, and I don't think I should have to pay them to find out if they got me hacked.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: possibly hacked? / no customer support
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 08:33:40 AM »
Bad contact between the SIM and the phone is likely what caused it.
I don't see any reason to worry about it.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 02:17:00 AM »
which would make sense, if it had just locked it and taken some pictures. but why would avast be exporting my contacts etc for a SIM problem? where did it export them to?

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 10:20:37 PM »
also i was looking at the settings last night -- taking pictures automatically when the SIM is unrecognized is not an option in the free version anymore, so it shouldn't have done even that