Author Topic: AV (free) Slows down Crashplan backup (to cloud) 10x  (Read 1203 times)

REDACTED

AV (free) Slows down Crashplan backup (to cloud) 10x
« on: May 25, 2017, 04:09:29 AM »
I've installed, on my fast win10 system, a Crashplan which is a well used regarded automated backup  program. Most of what it's backing up is on m NAS (off of a mapped drive, Y).  It's unbearably show so I started experimenting.   I noticed that when I turned all protections over it seemed to speed up by a factor of 5-20x.  Note, I'm judging that subjectively.  It updates the display of number of files its backup up every second and when the AV is disabled that number changes by that much more than when the AV is on.

I tried solving this by excluding the NAS based backup source directory, via my mapped drive, from AV (settings/components/customize File System Shield/Exclusions of Y:\work for all R,X,W but that didnt seem to help anything.

EDIT

I wanted to see how this would change if I used Windows Defender vs Avast but apparently even with all the shields disabled, I can't turn on Windows Defender's real time protection because, as it notes, I have another AV doing that (obviously Avast).  Is there anyway without completely uninstalling Avast to make it so that I can turn on Windows Defender for this experiment?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 04:19:36 AM by Andrew407 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: AV (free) Slows down Crashplan backup (to cloud) 10x
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 08:28:28 AM »
Set avast to run in passive mode.