Author Topic: Win7 Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool  (Read 1789 times)

REDACTED

Win7 Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool
« on: May 25, 2017, 08:32:50 AM »
I downloaded this too http://www.virus-removal-help.com/remove-microsoft-malicious-software-removal-tool/ to carry out its Full Scan, and was surprised that it found 2 infected files while running but did not indicate which ones. It reported no infections at the end of the scan as illustrated in my link.
I was surprised because Automatic Updates downloads and runs this tool as a quick scan monthly, and had reported no infections.
I used this downloaded scan tool once again (3 hours to complete) to check whether these two infected files were still there, and again it found 2 infected files but did not indicate which ones.

An annoying side effect is that both times I used this tool, Automatic Updates keeps downloading KB890830 to carry out its own quick scan, which finds nothing, and is presumably adding 9MB to the computer each time it does it, even though MS says that the new update automatically removes the old one. It still appears on the the installed updates list separately.

I un-check the Update, but it installs it anyway, even though I have set Automatic Update to inform me when new ones are available, and give me the option install when I tell it to.
Perhaps I should delete the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool which I saved to desktop, or simply not use it again, or both?

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
Re: Win7 Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 11:07:52 AM »
Only for your 1st paragraph, I too experienced that encounter but there's an explanation for this from the Microsoft Community that I researched about this

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_other-protect_scanning/two-infected-files-shown-during-oct-2016-malicious/fb273053-6bd7-45ba-9710-8b5e5ff0469c?lc=1033
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2