Author Topic: Bug Fix for the next version....  (Read 11783 times)

ardvark

Bug Fix for the next version....
« on: April 03, 2006, 11:38:55 PM »
Hi All...

It's too late for the version just coming out but perhaps in 4.8 there could be a fix for the Outlook Express problem. With every copy of Avast I've used, in order to send mail properly without problems, you have to activate the main program. If you just click on a link (on a web page, for example) and get the message box and try and send it that way, you get an error message from the server. Then you have to bring up the main program and try two or three times to send it by clicking on "send/receive."

I've tried talking to the staff techs about this but all I got was the usual end user placations.....i.e., did you check your firewall, go to this setting, click that....the kind of stuff that screws your settings all to heck but doesn't fix the problem. ::)
Besides, I should not have to make any changes for this feature to work smoothly.

Does anybody else have this problem or is it something I have not considered and I'm the problem? ;D

Also, how do you guys get the flags to show up underneath your names?

Thanks for your help!

Best Regards...

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Bug Fix for the next version....
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 11:46:19 PM »
avast! 4.7 is scheduled around 15 april 2006. So plety of time and i'm sure Alwil guys will check if it's possible to fix this one too.

Regarding flags... i'm not really sure :P Some of other regular members here gave them (could be "Tech", but i'm not sure lol).
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 12:25:04 AM »
It was so long ago, but I think if you Click the Member Map button, select the Country and place your Pin in the Map and I think that then displays the Country's Flag.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mike6688

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 01:24:07 AM »
It was so long ago, but I think if you Click the Member Map button, select the Country and place your Pin in the Map and I think that then displays the Country's Flag.

Yep, this is how you display the map I've just tried it myself  ;)

Mike

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 01:54:57 AM »
No, I've never encountered that problem, and wasn't aware there was a bug.

ardvark

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 02:34:40 AM »
Hi all....

Ah, here we are.......Avast users of the world unite, eh? ;D

Anyway, thank you all for your replies and I hope my little problem gets on the "repair list" for the next version.

@oldman:

I like your avatar...I can definately relate; how I remember so well my days of using Windows 95 and 98 and sometimes XP isn't that much better :P

Best Regards...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 02:45:57 AM by ardvark »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 03:03:40 AM »
With every copy of Avast I've used, in order to send mail properly without problems, you have to activate the main program.
Are you using Windows 98? What do you mean 'activate' the main program? Can you post a screenshot?

If you just click on a link (on a web page, for example) and get the message box
Which message box? What is the relationship between the webpage link and avast mail scanner?  ???

Also, how do you guys get the flags to show up underneath your names?
Regarding flags... i'm not really sure :P Some of other regular members here gave them (could be "Tech", but i'm not sure lol).
It was not me...  8)

Avast users of the world unite, eh? ;D
Sure. Isn't it the best thing we can get?  8)
The best things in life are free.

ardvark

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 03:44:10 AM »
Hi tech...

I'm using Windows XP Pro, although I've had the same problem using 98 SE. I tried getting you a screenshot but when I sent the mail, it went without a hitch! Do you care if I send you a test e-mail to attempt to duplicate the problem?
With XP, I've noticed that it will work like it's supposed to at least a tiny bit of the time.

By message box, I mean the smaller box that you write the text of the message in....not bringing the entire program up (when you want to retrieve messages.)

Thanks!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 03:57:07 AM »
I tried getting you a screenshot but when I sent the mail, it went without a hitch!
Can't you post the screenshot here in forums? http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=8982.0

Do you care if I send you a test e-mail to attempt to duplicate the problem?
I don't mind but... duplicate the problem? How?

By message box, I mean the smaller box that you write the text of the message in....not bringing the entire program up (when you want to retrieve messages.)
Sorry it's late here... I'm tired but I'm not being able to understand exactly your problem...

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 04:22:12 AM »
Tech,

in my browser, Firefox, there is a toolbar item called "Send link".  I think that this is the kind of thing that ardvark is talking about.

When clicked the link simply opens the outgoing mail compose window of your default mail product to send the link in an email rather than opening up the whole mail product itself.

I hope this doesn't confuse the discussion.

ardvark

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 05:47:31 AM »
@ alanrf:

Yes, you are going in the right direction....

@ tech:

ok, let's try this again....say you use Outlook Express as your default POP3 mail client and of course, Avast configures it when it is installed so that the mail goes through its servers.
Now, let's say that you are looking at a web page and you find an e-mail link that you want to send mail to. Ok, when you click that link, the Outlook Express splash screen appears and then you get a smallish box that you can fill in the subject line and the text of your message (the "who's it going to" line is already completed for you.) You fill out what you want to say and then you click SEND. Then you get another small window showing you a progress bar and notification that the message was actually sent. That's it, mission completed.....

Well, in my case, during the time the progress bar is showing, I get an error message saying that the server could not forward the message! Ok, now I have to click on the Outlook Express icon in the toolbar to bring up the main program. The message I tried to send is in "Outbox." The program automatically looks for new messages and tries to send out any in the Outbox once it is finished loading into memory. Again, another error message when it tries to send the same message out again. So, I click "SEND/RECEIVE" and it will repeat the same process over again. Again, same error message. Now, I click SEND/RECEIVE again and this time, finally, my message is actually sent!!! However, if I open the main program FIRST and THEN click to create a new message, there is never any problem. The problem never exists before Avast is installed.

This is what I put up with on a routine and consistent basis. >:(

This has happened with every Avast install I've done for myself and with both 98 and XP. This is why I say it is a bug or program glitch.

Best Regards...

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 06:40:50 AM »
ardvark

I'm glad I am going in the right direction. 

With my default mail client (Thunderbird) I have never experienced this problem, the "send email" window opens and the email is sent without any problem. 

You will no doubt find this rather useless information since you are using Outlook Express.  I thought so ... so I changed my default email client to Outlook Express. 

With my default client as Outlook Express I repeated the test ... the individual email window of Outlook Express was opened, the email was sent ... without any problem and just about instantly received at the account I sent it to.

So, I think that something else is getting in the way. 

say you use Outlook Express as your default POP3 mail client and of course, Avast configures it when it is installed so that the mail goes through its servers.

given that you are using Windows XP the above quote is very simply wrong (sorry to be blunt).

avast does not change your email configuration and it does not go through avast servers.  avast does intercept (within your system) the outgoing mail and avast does (within your system) scan the outgoing mail.   

Your description of what happens when creating the email is puzzling.  In my case the Outlook Express send mail window appears with the "from" line set to my default account, the subject line set to the name of the link and the link itself is the text of the message.  I am left to fill in the "who to send to" information. 

How, in your case, would it know who to send to? 

Are you perhaps using some other plugin or software to enable this function? 

Which browser do you use? 

It has already been suggested but it would probably help if you could post a screenshot of the box as you see it (though please remove any personally identifiable details before you capture the screenshot).
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 06:53:42 AM by alanrf »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 08:47:34 AM »
1. Guys, please stay on topic, this thread is hard to follow...

2. The mail scanner in avast 4.7 is vastly improved. Nontrivial changes have been implemented to work around the notorious Timeout Expired messages as well as enable sending of large emails even on slow connections (dial-up etc)...

Please wait for the beta (should be ready by the end of this week). We're looking forward to hearing your comments.

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

ardvark

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 09:04:15 AM »
@ alanrf:

No, don't be sorry...actually, you are correct. With XP, Avast does not change any of the POP3 settings like it did 98. Oooops! I use IE 6 Service pack 1 and Opera on occasion.
Usually on websites, if an e-mail link is provided, it will fill in the "To" line for you. This is different from opening the entire program and clicking "Create Mail."

And I would like to thank you for going above and beyond by setting up your own copy of OE and trying to duplicate the problem, I really appreciate that!!!! :)

I've not been able to duplicate the problem today at all myself, perhaps with XP, it is intermittant. If I'm lucky, maybe it will stay that way ;D

@ tech:

No doubt you received my test e-mail. No hitch sending that.
I don't know, this is a weird one. If nobody else is having this problem, I don't know what is going on. Either way, this does not affect my "product loyalty." Avast will definately be staying on my system and I'm thinking about upgrading to the professional version. No other free AV that I know of provides these many options and features.

Thank you both and everyone who replied to this thread for your helpfulness and kindness, it is truly appreciated :)

Best Regards...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 02:17:40 PM »
No doubt you received my test e-mail. No hitch sending that.
Only now... my spam killer caught it  ;D
I'll take a look into your email soon...

Hi Tech...
This is the test e-mail to see if I can duplicate the problem regarding my copy of Outlook Express. Thanks for your help!
Aaron

avast! Antivirus: Inbound message clean. Virus Database: 0614-0, 03/04/2006.

These are the contents... your email is being scanned by my avast  8)