Author Topic: Self protection question.  (Read 1465 times)

REDACTED

Self protection question.
« on: May 31, 2017, 04:31:44 PM »
Just a returnee back with AV Pro. ReZjor is still around so that's ok.

I have bought, installed and configured AV Pro to overcome an old issue that goes back some time with another AV. I could no longer live with it!
Everything works fine with Avast.
My query concerns Avasts self protection whilst streaming updates are operating.
What does Avast do that is different than 'Auto, non-streaming updates'

Thank you
David

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Self protection question.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 04:37:20 PM »
Streaming (and other updates) have nothing to do with the avast self protection.

REDACTED

Re: Self protection question.
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 08:27:14 PM »
Thank you Eddy.
That is one idea crossed off, now I will have to explain the test that I did to identify the causes of some strange entries in a router log.
The router in question is a BT unit (HH5B) serving a 40Mbps line.
These type of entries have been the subject of much discussion over the years in the the BT (UK) forum.

So, the HH5B is connected to my PC by cat5e and is almost continuously polling and logs everything.
Assuming no activity on my PC and without any AV installed the HH5B log stays empty as expected.
Install AntiVirus Pro with Streaming Updates enabled and the HH5B log shows disconnects and connects whose times corresponds to the Incremental updates (compare with entries in Avast folder). These disconnects/connects are obsevable by the sys tray icon. Watch icon and make note of time. Very boring!
Turn off Streaming updates, the sys tray icon does not change and the log stays empty.

My previous AV was 'cloud only' and always connected to the cloud, it had to be. It too had this problem but there was nothing to turn off.
Avast with Streaming updates is always connected, Streaming updates off and "Connection not Established"
As a principal I do not believe in coincidences.
There is obviously much more to this test than I have given as it also involved another router (TP-Link)
The bottom line is that the PC is disconnected from the router and then it is reconnected.
I have now gone back to my trusty old TP-Link with Streaming Updates off and all is just great as it should be.

Over the years we have checked everything, really everything and then one day I wondered?
Any ideas at all would be welcome.

Happy Avast user again.
David