Author Topic: CleanUp stuck in Step 1 - 'Change to a more trusted search engine' section  (Read 3202 times)

REDACTED

I've tried multiple times to run CleanUp, but each and every time I reach the 'Change to a more trusted search engine' section in Step 1, the 'Dropdown', 'Skip' and 'Save' functions fail to function, and thereby block advancement to the other two steps.

I'm only on day one of the 30-day trial, (May 30, 2017) so I know this version is current.

Please assist so that I might decide as to whether this software is worth purchasing.

Windows PC -  OS 8.1 - default browser Mozilla - subscription active for Avast Internet Security.

REDACTED

:o I'm having the exact same problem... stuck at 'Change to a more trusted search engine' ... doesn't matter if i click ignore or save it gets stuck and doesn't move to the next step... therefore i can't get the cleanup to finish... can anyone please assist?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
What search engine are you actually using (for it to be considered less trusted) ?
Are you using the paid version of clean-up or the free component in avast ?

Personally I look after my own clean-up and security of browser, so I never install this.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

Thanks for the reply. I use google as search engine and i have the paid clean-up version. What do you mean you look after your own lean-up and security of browser? What do you never install?

What search engine are you actually using (for it to be considered less trusted) ?
Are you using the paid version of clean-up or the free component in avast ?

Personally I look after my own clean-up and security of browser, so I never install this.

REDACTED

Tried to repair Avast on the control panel\programs and re-started the computer... re-ran clean up and it gets stuck in step 1\3 when it asks if i want to change the search engine(which is google currently).. doesn't do the clean up no matter if i click ignore or save in this step... ugh!!!  I paid for this component for it to not work?  :'(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
First let me make it clear I'm an avast user just like yourself.

I don't believe an avast repair would have worked on this paid component, I don't know if uninstalling it and then reinstall the component might work.

Even then I don't know why it would consider Google search to be less or untrusted. When you also avast are pushing the Google Chrome browser.

The only thing worse than a component that doesn't work as expected and that is one you have paid for.

You could seek a refund is one option (provided you are within the refund period.  Support Ticket Refund - https://support.avast.com/support/tickets/new?form=2
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

Thanks, man. Appreciate your feedback. I'm going to do the "uninstall and re-install" thing and if it doesn't work i'll wait a bit and see if it starts working soon... if not i'll defenatelly ask for a refund.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You're welcome, good luck.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 10:04:20 PM by DavidR »