Author Topic: 72 + hour scan times, every time  (Read 4921 times)

REDACTED

72 + hour scan times, every time
« on: May 31, 2017, 04:29:57 AM »
Win 7 HP x64
Avast Internet Security 17.4.229 build 3482

Like many people, since upgrading to the most recent version, I was receiving the scan cancelled at 99% error.  I made the mistake of not checking here first, to find it was just a GUI error, and would be quickly fixed.  My bad.

Assuming something else was going on, I chose to uninstall and reinstall the program.

I have 20 TB of storage or so, so, it was not surprising that the initial scan after re-install took about 72 hours.  My problem now is, EVERY full system scan, which I have scheduled for 2am every morning, is taking the same amount of time.  This was not the case before the re-install.  There must be a setting that I chose incorrectly, in the re-install, that advised the program, after initial scan, to only scan altered files, not files that have not changed since last clean scan.  Typically, before the re-install, a full scan took a little over an hour.

I  thought it might have been the option to store data about scanned files in the persistent cache, so I unchecked that box, but last nights scan was still only 5% or so done, by the time I woke up.

Any other thoughts as to what the issue might be?  The product is fairly useless to me if it takes 3 plus days to do a full scan, every single time.

I attempted a ticket with primary support for paid products (ticket 829265), but the response did not address the issue.

Thank you, any and all, for your time and assistance! 

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: 72 + hour scan times, every time
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 07:39:03 AM »
The product is fairly useless to me if it takes 3 plus days to do a full scan, every single time.
It is also no need to run a full scan evry day.
All antivirus programs have realtime protection, meaning evrything that goes on in your computer when on is scanned/monitored as it happens

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 08:05:37 PM »
I am aware that live monitoring is an essential part of any anti-virus.  But, virus definitions can update at any time, multiple times throughout the day and night, and a threat that may have snuck in, prior to being widely recognized.  Having a daily scan is simply a matter of piece of mind for me.  I do appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 08:12:44 PM »
Are you scanning inside of archives? ZIP/RAR/7zip and such. That can eat up time fast.

Also, if you're doing other disk intensive things during the scan, like backups/syncing, scan times can be much longer.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 08:14:29 PM by Rundvleeskroket »

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 08:15:15 PM »
with only minor exceptions (such as possibly system files) I do not store anything packed/compressed on the computer.  If I download something that is packed, I typically unpack it and discard the compressed files.  Thanks for the reply and thoughts!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 08:19:01 PM »
There really is no need at all to run a full scan every day.
Disabling the "persistent cache" option sure will slow down things.

It doesn't matter how much storage you have, but how many data has to be scanned, and yes the more data the longer it will take.

As avast is a real time scanner newly added detections (e.g. updates to the VPS) will detect things in files that previously where not detected when you access them (if you have scan all files enabled in the real time protection modules).

If you still want to run a full scan, make sure every application is closed, all services that are not really needed are shut down etc and don't use the system while scanning.
If it still takes too much time for you, get a faster system.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 08:23:30 PM »
My complaint (or, concern really) is not with the speed of the scan itself, it's what's changed since I re-installed.  This was not an issue before I uninstalled and re-installed Avast.  After the initial scan, scans on the same computer, with generally the same content, took in the hour to hour and a half range, now that same scan is taking 72+ hours. . .so the issue is not with the speed of my computer (which is a 6 core i7 @3.47 GHZ w/ 16 GB of ram), or the files on it.

Something has changed, and I have little doubt it IS something I did, I just need that assistance narrowing down the culprit.

Thanks again to everyone who takes the time to read and offer suggestions.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 08:25:47 PM »
- Other security related software installed..?
- Which AV(s) did you use before Avast..?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 08:26:16 PM »
Don't know what avast version you had installed, but things have changed.
Detection has been improved, new detection methods are in place etc.

And yes (at least part of the culprit) is because of what you did/do.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 08:51:45 PM »
Win 7 HP x64
Avast Internet Security 17.4.229 build 3482

I also have malwarebytes pro installed (which, also, was installed prior to the Avast re-install and this issue).

I've used Avast for a few years now, prior Avira, though since my last clean OS install, only Avast (and mbe) have ever been installed.

When I did the re-install, I did use the Avast Clear tool (in safe mode) to fully uninstall before re-installing.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 08:53:54 PM »
I also have malwarebytes pro installed (which, also, was installed prior to the Avast re-install and this issue).
Regarding Avast & MBAM, see: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/200324-exclusions-for-avast-users/
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2017, 09:30:37 PM »
I have added mutual exclusions for both Avast and MalwareBytes.  Thanks for the tips, fingers crossed!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2017, 09:43:03 PM »
You're welcome.

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2017, 09:48:31 PM »
When you run the Avast scan, does task manager show any other programs using CPU and Disk time? Maybe uninstalling Avast enabled Defender or something, and now they are fighting.

Avast has options to configure the scans (top right gear icon above the scan). For the full scan, do you have enabled the 'scan all files' option? And then below that: content or name extention.

Also: what scan areas are included? Maybe you customized that previously and they are now reset to default.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 09:50:32 PM by Rundvleeskroket »

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2017, 09:56:44 PM »
I have verified that Defender is disabled (good thought!). 

I have changed scan all files option to "name" from content, we'll see what effect that has.

I have, and have always had, all hard discs, root kits, and programs in memory selected.

The scan is set to run while I sleep, and I typically close everything during that time, with the exception of "always on" programs like system programs, malwarebytes, dropbox and mediamonkey.