Author Topic: Microsoft Says Recovery from Malware Becoming Impossible  (Read 5789 times)

guruh

Microsoft Says Recovery from Malware Becoming Impossible
« on: April 04, 2006, 09:42:26 PM »
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1945808,00.asp

"When you are dealing with rootkits and some advanced spyware programs, the only solution is to rebuild from scratch. In some cases, there really is no way to recover without nuking the systems from orbit," Mike Danseglio, program manager in the Security Solutions group at Microsoft, said in a presentation at the InfoSec World conference here.

Any thoughts?

I know avast! is strictly an av program, is my current line of defense against these "advanced" spyware and rootkits would be enough?

Ad Aware
Spybot SD
Ewido

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Microsoft Says Recovery from Malware Becoming Impossible
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 10:03:05 PM »
Hi guruh,

What would yousay if you were to enter aggressively into the anti-malware theater? Exactly the same thing. Put a little fear into the average user to make them go for your product.
Now the facts, if you have multi-layered defenses like a combination of a good resident anti-virus product, good resident software firewall, the three main anti-spyware programs like spybot s&d, spywareblaster & ad-aware, an anti trojan solution like ewido or a-squared, and a system monitoring program like the Russian SSM, together with in-browser security add-ons (DrWeb pre-link scanner, siteadvisor, NoScript, etc) together with surfing with normal user rights, there is not much that can happen to you, not even with hidden trojans, drive by installs, and even rootkits. You are safe, and what will it cost you 0,00$,
not one single rupiah my friend, just the download time.

polonus
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 10:04:57 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 10:15:10 PM »
Put a little fear into the average user to make them go for your product.
Eh eh... marketing bla-bla-bla  :P
The best things in life are free.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 12:27:28 AM »
IMHO, Since the new virus, rootkit and/or mahlware always comes befor the fix,
your own browsing habits are the only real defense.
 ;D ;D "He who plays with fire, is sure to get burned"  ;D ;D
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

neal62

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 12:42:54 AM »
In todays times, with the end user not knowing, not having the proper protection, a system recovery CD is nice to have.  :)

Staind

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 01:37:56 AM »
It's so sad though that you have to install 500 programs just to make your system safe.  I think it is time that governments began to cut down on spyware.  Once corporations are not allowed to use spyware without fully notifying the user, I think you will see a huge decrease in spyware development.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 01:57:13 AM »
Not really. I can live just fine with decent antivirus and the most basic inbound firewall (WinXP SP2 one). Browser is of course not IE6, though i use IE7 Beta2 for certain stuff.
Don't even remember when i was infected last time...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

justin1278

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 02:24:26 AM »
Look, Microsoft is just a bunch of B/S if most apps were not written for Windows I would not use it. It is amazing how Microsoft never fails to create a bug in  product. You can't even have Microsoft Works without them coming out with updates to protect you, yes Microsoft Works, kinda sorry isn't it? Oh I would like to know when the last time Microsoft made an original product not of something other people made. Windows was based off of Mac, Word was based off of WordPerfect, Money off of Quicken, and Office off of the WordPerfect office program (forgot what that was called :-[) So my question to you forum users is. When was the last time Microsoft really created something original? something that was based off of Microsoft not some other company!

EDIT

>:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 02:56:42 AM »
It's so sad though that you have to install 500 programs just to make your system safe.  I think it is time that governments began to cut down on spyware.  Once corporations are not allowed to use spyware without fully notifying the user, I think you will see a huge decrease in spyware development.
Staind, I feel the same. Although I try not to put all 500 programs for security and try to take some of the resources for my own work and pleasure, I think that when somebody starts to fight spam and spyware like they deserve, things will gona be different...  :P
The best things in life are free.

justin1278

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 03:05:10 AM »
I hope that things change very soon.

guruh

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 04:12:52 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.

Anyway, I do a lot of online banking (paying bills, shopping, etc). Very convenient that is, but I'm also worry. Just like Bob says, malwares do come before the fix and in seconds my financial details could be in someone's hands.

I do believe I have multi-layered defense:

- Fully patched WinXP Home SP2
- avast! Home
- Jetico PF
- Ad Aware
- A Squared (gives a lot of false positives lately)
- Spyware blaster
- Spybot SD
- WinPatrol
- Firefox (NoScript, AdBlock+Filterset.G updater, FLashblock, siteadvisor)
- Ewido
- FOr extra privacy I use tor+privoxy for browsing

Should I still be worried?

Cheers

CharleyO

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 06:19:06 PM »

Guruh,

I would say that you have more multi-layer defense than most have. As long as you keep those up-to-date and use them once a week, you should have very few problems.   :)