Other > Viruses and worms

Followed avast directions - is it gone?

(1/1)

doorknob:
As you can tell by my ID - I know as much as a doorknob about viruses and trojans.  I am using XP pro, IE
Got an alert -  for a virus
I immediately did Avast! virus scan

It came up with a virus named "Mnemonix family"
AND
 Trojan  -win32trojan-general [other] in  Cwindows UWAS6  0001 N68M2301  NETinstaller.exe [left out the dashes and dots on purpose - not sure it's kosher to  type the whole virus description here ?] 

I put the virus and trojan in the "chest"

Then I followed Avast! wonderful help pages and did use Avast Cleaner. 

Disabled system resore before running cleaner.  It came up clean-then enabled system restore.
Then did a full virus scan- and it came up clean.

BUT- in the log- there are a ton of "unable to scan" archives that are password protected .
In view of the above - have I eradicated the little buggers - or is there anything else I should be doing ???
 Doorknob thanks you for some help  :-*

essexboy:
if you look at the file path of the unable to scan files you will probably find that they are Adaware or spybot.  These are password protected files and Avast cannot read them because it does not know what the password is.  If they are not can you give us an idea of the programme path ?

Lisandro:

--- Quote from: doorknob on April 05, 2006, 09:33:33 PM ---BUT- in the log- there are a ton of "unable to scan" archives that are password protected .
In view of the above - have I eradicated the little buggers - or is there anything else I should be doing ???
 Doorknob thanks you for some help  :-*
--- End quote ---
Generally, it's ok.
avast can't scan files that are password protected, it doesn't know the password.

There are many legitimate reasons why a file was password protected. For instance, the ones you're talking about. Lavasoft stores its data in a password-protected ZIP archives (to prevent other similar tools from messing up with them). It's really nothing to worry about - it's normal.

In AdAware and S&D, when you fix/remove things it keeps backup/recovery information so you can restore anything that was mistakenly fixed/removed, etc. After a reasonable time your system has suffered no adverse effects, you can get rid of the older recovery/backup points. This should reduce the number of protected files.

doorknob:
I was just typing this reply when I was informed another reply was in progress- great interactive board [best I've seen yet]
 :D Thank you- you folks are great!!

There are 122 of them - some are duplicative - but if I remember they are all in archived files.

If there is a password - I don't have a clue either what they are either.

Not sure if it will let me copy/paste the unable to scan files but will get some examples and return here in a while... 

OK - Thank you for  the 2nd reply :D [sorry don't see your names]   Yes, so  far so good - no problems so- I don't need to worry about those files and guess I'm good to go!
 ...err....until  the next time  - there oughta be a law against hackers :P, right?   
 Thanks again~

Lisandro:

--- Quote from: doorknob on April 06, 2006, 03:49:19 AM ---Great interactive board [best I've seen yet]
 :D Thank you- you folks are great!!
--- End quote ---
Be used to avast forum speed... come back any time you need...

--- Quote from: doorknob on April 06, 2006, 03:49:19 AM ---If there is a password - I don't have a clue either what they are either.
--- End quote ---
You didn't give them a password, a program did it automatically and without your intervention.

--- Quote from: doorknob on April 06, 2006, 03:49:19 AM ---Not sure if it will let me copy/paste the unable to scan files but will get some examples and return here in a while...
--- End quote ---
If you configure the report file to add these kind of files, you'll have a report saying which one are passworded.

--- Quote from: doorknob on April 06, 2006, 03:49:19 AM --- ...err....until  the next time
--- End quote ---
Well, if you can, come back before and help the others, enjoy the forum  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version