Author Topic: Where to find files erroneously marked as a false positive  (Read 1543 times)

REDACTED

Where to find files erroneously marked as a false positive
« on: June 03, 2017, 04:54:31 PM »
Hi all. Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't get thru all the links in my search.

I recently had a file reported as suspicious by my PC's Avast Free Antivirus and normally, I trust the antivirus but I was sure this was a false positive. So I allowed the file to proceed and added an exception/exclusion for it. That forever turned out to be a wrong move as my browsers have now been hijacked and they sometimes re-direct me to other web pages when I click my mouse, like what typical PUPs/malwares etc would do. It's frustrating. I can probably solve this by completely un-installing my browsers and re-installing them, but I'm thinking with that exception/exclusion in place, the same thing would happen with the new installations.

So the question is, where do I find this exclusion instruction in Avast and remove it so that Avast would stop the file from running again? Sorry if I sound ignorant. I know a bit more about IT stuff than the regular folks but nowhere near those of you who talk about dll, scripts, Java etc.

Thanks for any help.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 05:14:35 PM by Pondus »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Where to find files erroneously marked as a false positive
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 05:01:54 PM »
Check where you added the exclusion(s) and remove it/them.
-> https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB168#artTitle (Excluding files/websites)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: Where to find files erroneously marked as a false positive
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 05:05:20 PM »
Hi manutd1972,

Welcome to the forums. 

Really sorry this happened to you.  Point of having an antivirus running is to protect you when the threat happens, and as you found out, avast tried to do so. 

Real-time protection trumps manual scanning every time as when the malware gets in running a manual scan will not completely remove a threat once it gets in.  Too many things get hidden and too many variables are at play.

So, the best thing to do is to follow instructions here, and attach the logs requested:  https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=194892.0

Please read Pondus' reply and consider whether you need the services of a certified malware expert.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801