Author Topic: Is Avast NOW Ransomware  (Read 3459 times)

REDACTED

Is Avast NOW Ransomware
« on: June 04, 2017, 08:48:27 AM »
Hi. I have two problems of late. Not really sure when Avast took over my computer but I have had Avast installed for nearly 12 years.
(free) on one computer or another.
First one. Avast has somehow become corrupted. It will not update to the newest program or virus definitions. When I try to uninstall Avast my computer crashes with a hard drive problem. I have scanned the drive and there are no faults. I then decided I would just delete Avast from my computer and start again. To my amazement when I deleted the Avast folder and its contents, ALL other downloaded and INSTALLED programs that Avast had anything to do with were removed as well.
My second problem on a separate computer with the most current version. After downloading a cracked program, I then wanted to move it to a thumb drive. Avast then marked this as Malware (understandably ) and has taken it from my computer. Now there was once a CHEST where this would be put and you were able to mark it as OK. This chest seems to be gone and replaced with a SANDBOX. This is where RANSOMWARE comes in. In the FREE version NOW you have to pay to see or release marked programs in the SANDBOX.

I am hoping someone in Avast land can tell me how to get around these FAULTS

Cheers

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Is Avast NOW Ransomware
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 09:06:46 AM »
I wouldn't expect any help if you are using cracked software on your system :o

If the computer is playing up it's probably due to an infection from an illegally downloaded cracked software  ::)

« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 09:20:20 AM by CraigB »

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 09:39:44 AM »
Yes you are quite right. But!

12 months ago I installed or tried to install a $1200 Maxsea Timezero program which was as I remember reported as Malware. This was a purchased software package. Luckily I was able to go to the CHEST and mark it as OK and then reported it as a False Positive to both Avast and Maxsea. If I had the new version of Avast this would not have been possible putting my $1200 program in the bin UNTIL I PAID to have access to the SANDBOX.

RANSOM

How many people out there have had false / positives.

Cheers , Thanks for reading

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 10:34:49 AM »
The Sandbox and chest are two entirely different things.

The chest is the place where avast stores as infected detected files.
The Sandbox is a shielded environment where you can run (possibly infected) applications.
https://blog.avast.com/2012/11/16/what-is-the-avast-autosandbox-and-how-does-it-work/

Just removing a avast folder is not removing avast.
Trying to remove avast is not causing a hard drive problem.
avast has nothing to do with other installed application except that it is scanning them.

Do you even know what ransomware is ?

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 04:59:26 PM »
Hi. I have two problems of late. Not really sure when Avast took over my computer but I have had Avast installed for nearly 12 years.
(free) on one computer or another.
First one. Avast has somehow become corrupted. It will not update to the newest program or virus definitions. When I try to uninstall Avast my computer crashes with a hard drive problem. I have scanned the drive and there are no faults. I then decided I would just delete Avast from my computer and start again. To my amazement when I deleted the Avast folder and its contents, ALL other downloaded and INSTALLED programs that Avast had anything to do with were removed as well.
My second problem on a separate computer with the most current version. After downloading a cracked program, I then wanted to move it to a thumb drive. Avast then marked this as Malware (understandably ) and has taken it from my computer. Now there was once a CHEST where this would be put and you were able to mark it as OK. This chest seems to be gone and replaced with a SANDBOX. This is where RANSOMWARE comes in. In the FREE version NOW you have to pay to see or release marked programs in the SANDBOX.

I am hoping someone in Avast land can tell me how to get around these FAULTS

Cheers
And what does this have to do with SecureLine VPN for Windows?  OT, I'd say.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 05:03:51 PM »
That too.