Author Topic: why does windows98 dissappear?  (Read 4426 times)

MotoXmg

why does windows98 dissappear?
« on: April 06, 2006, 06:29:07 AM »
Hi, I downloaded this program. When it loaded, the blue ball icons appeared in the tray at bottom, then all my windows(98 edition) dissappeared!! (except my wallpaper and cursor). Nothing would allow me to get windows back accept for turning off manually. I tried several times and did same thing. Finally, I deleted the program prior to the icons popping up (when the problem would occur).  What do I do????  Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: why does windows98 dissappear?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 02:02:36 PM »
What do you mean by all my windows(98 edition) dissappeared!! ?
Icons in system tray? Startup items?
You can't login?

Are you using any other antivirus in this computer?
The best things in life are free.

ardvark

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 02:44:25 PM »
Hi Tech...

He might mean the icons for different programs (My Computer, My Documents, etc.) on the desktop. The only thing I could figure out ???

Best Regards...

MotoXmg

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 06:55:25 AM »
Forgive my computer dorkiness, yes what I was trying to describe is everything on my desktop include start menu, etc dissapeared and would not respond. Now that you have slightly more accurate info, what do you think?? 

Thanks! 
Mike
PS-no other antivirus is on my system at this time.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 06:58:44 AM by MotoXmg »

ardvark

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 12:48:28 PM »
Hi Moto...

You're not a dork or a llama, a lot of people do very well just to be able to turn the machine on :)

First, is this a case of Windows freezing during bootup?

Second, can you get into safe mode? If so, try uninstalling Avast and then reboot to see what happens.

Third, what, if any, antivirus or security software were you running before you installed Avast?

Best regards...

MotoXmg

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 07:03:13 AM »
After I downloaded the program, I ran the setup. After the program installed, two icons (blue) appeared in the bottom right corner of desktop. Immediately following this, my entire desktop dissappeared (shortcuts, start menu,toolbar,etc) The only thing left was my cursor and wallpaper. I could still move the cursor around, but no response from anything else. After "pulling the plug" several times, I was able to get to the control panel, prior to the icons popping up, to remove the program, because the same scenario ocuured everytime.

I do not have any a/v programs, only "ad-aware se". 

Never did it "freeze" up, it just elimnated my desktop.
   HELP!!

ardvark

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 11:16:14 AM »
Hi  Moto...

So, if I understand you correctly, even after you have uninstalled Avast, this problem remains?

This is kind of a long shot but perhaps it might work...

Download TweakUI for Windows 98 from this site:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/tweakui

Follow the instructions listed in the same box you clicked to start the download.

After it is installed, go to the Control Panel Menu (at the bottom) to bring it up and click on the repair tab.

Make sure the box says "rebuild icons" and click the button that says "repair" or "repair now."

This might work, I don't know. I'm not looking at your actual system so it's a little hard to tell what's going on exactly.

If this doesn't work or you can't get anything to come up because of this problem, write back and perhaps we can try something else.

Additional questions:

Will it come up succesfully in safe mode?
What AV, if any, did you have installed prior to Avast?

Best Regards...